Well today I intend to make the frames for all the chess boards… I think I have… no … I know I have 5 boards needing frames… and a few of them will have a box made under to contain a drawer to store the pieces… The largest will be fitted to a table… with a drawer.. I have in mind tapered legs… not sure…maybe…we will see.. So it is off to the workshop… after I have my morning coffee… to make some sawdust… I think the frames should contrast to the actual boards..and maybe have a little...
After several hours of carving with my Dremel tool over the last two days, I completed the custom checkers for this project. This was my first attempt at wood carving and with 48 sides to carve, it was a bit tedious, but not too difficult. My skills improved a good deal by day two and I took some extra time to go back over the first day’s checkers and make sure they were all pretty consistent. I took some video of the carving process to post as a separate blog entry once I have...
Here’s a couple more pics of the progress I’ve made. I glued some veneer around the edges to fill in the gap between the fancy stuff and the edge where the board will transition into the sides. Then it was onto a lot of sanding. What I hadn’t expected was the dust from the Rosewood to stain the maple while sanding. So I sanded it down as good as I could without going through the veneer and then used a cabinet scraper to finish it off. I think it came out really nice and I ca...
I found this website, and now am inspired to make my own.http://www.straightupchess.com/store/index.cfm?category=2 I thought this was a really cool idea though I’m not sure yet on how I would want to install the glass or plexi row/stands. If you look closely it also has vertical slits between each checkerboard column. (i think)I wonder how this could have been accomplished
What has turned out to be a simple and relaxed day has been a long and tedious one. The chess board that I’m building has been what seems to be a chess game in its self. The 4”x16” strips have turned out good but seem to have a little cup to them after the glue up. I took the board and sanded what I could till it was level and smooth. Then the cherry side strips are not perfectly flush against the maple ends. I planed everything but the butt ends just don’t seat all th...
Here is the latest:The pieces are all made. On to the board. Birds Eye Maple and Rosewood.I got the veneer supplies ready to go and glued each piece to the 1/2” Birch Ply after cutting them to rough width, 2.25”. I used the full length of each 12” piece of veneer and had a gap in the middle, which was fine because I had enough to get the eight strips out of it. Each strip is 24 inches long and I just cut what I needed out of it and skipped over the gap. I then cleaned up the...
Hello. After my last post I was ready to start joinery on the main carcase. So I decided to do a dowel joint. I just used a simple block of wood with a 3/8” hole and fence clamped to it. The hole was placed so that it would be centered on 3/4” stock. I have lines drawn around the jig to locate the centre of the hole so I could align the jig to my marks on the work pieces. Here is the carcase disassembled with the dowels in place. You may be able to see in the picture the...
I have purchased all the lumber necessary for construction of the table. I decided to make the chess board first. I first cut strips of maple and walnut to approximately 3/8” thick on the bandsaw. To minimize slippage during gluing I glued up each pair individually, Followed by cleaning up some of the glue and then gluing all the strips together, I then cut the glued up board and flipped every other strip to form the chess board. Here’s a close up o...
Well last night I used blue painters tape to mask off all the wood and grout the tile field. I’m pretty happy with how everything turned out, although putting down grout with an uneven/carved border made it a bit of a challenge. There are definitely some low spots in the grout, but for me, pretty darned good. Tonight my son and I used elmers glue to stick felt to the bottom of all the pieces. We cut oversized felt squares, spread the glue with our fingers, and held them with press...
I have been thinking about what I could build for my 10 year old daughter for Christmas. She enjoys board games like Monopoly and Clue, so I thought I would build a fancy board game box to hold a Monopoly set with a drawer to keep all the money, cards, and game pieces organized. I looked at the others posted on LJ and a few other places on the web for inspiration and I played around with a few designs of my own in SketchUp. As with most things I draw in SketchUp, I was spending so much t...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries