Here’s a couple more pics of the progress I’ve made. I glued some veneer around the edges to fill in the gap between the fancy stuff and the edge where the board will transition into the sides. Then it was onto a lot of sanding. What I hadn’t expected was the dust from the Rosewood to stain the maple while sanding. So I sanded it down as good as I could without going through the veneer and then used a cabinet scraper to finish it off. I think it came out really nice and I ca...
Here is the latest:The pieces are all made. On to the board. Birds Eye Maple and Rosewood.I got the veneer supplies ready to go and glued each piece to the 1/2” Birch Ply after cutting them to rough width, 2.25”. I used the full length of each 12” piece of veneer and had a gap in the middle, which was fine because I had enough to get the eight strips out of it. Each strip is 24 inches long and I just cut what I needed out of it and skipped over the gap. I then cleaned up the...
I decided to make a 4.75” chess set and board. I knew it would take a while and it has taken me about 30 minutes per pawn to turn them not including 5 coats of wipe on poly with dry time between. So far I’ve turned all of the white pawns, which are curly maple. This is the first one I turned and it’s looking pretty rough, but I’ve gotten much better since I started. It all started with these turning templates that I made. I found the design for the pieces on the web...
Last spring my son and daughter-in-law wondered whether I could make them a larger chess board than the one they were using. We haven’t discussed it since, so I decided to surprise them with one for Christmas. Here is the completed board. I was discussing this project with a friend from church. He offered me a piece of walnut he had been storing for more than 30 years (he has a lot more). I bought a piece of maple from a local store (cheaper than the big box stores). Here is what...
I gave up on finishing this checkerboard project in time for Christmas, and then I was out of commission with a bad chest cold for another three weeks. Once I was back to 100%, I got to work finishing my White Oak Bookcase project. Now it’s time I got this one back on track. The last thing I had done on this project was to glue up all the squares for the top. I did half of the board at a time and then used my biscuit joiner to join the two sections together. I put in some time ...
After several hours of carving with my Dremel tool over the last two days, I completed the custom checkers for this project. This was my first attempt at wood carving and with 48 sides to carve, it was a bit tedious, but not too difficult. My skills improved a good deal by day two and I took some extra time to go back over the first day’s checkers and make sure they were all pretty consistent. I took some video of the carving process to post as a separate blog entry once I have...
I have been thinking about what I could build for my 10 year old daughter for Christmas. She enjoys board games like Monopoly and Clue, so I thought I would build a fancy board game box to hold a Monopoly set with a drawer to keep all the money, cards, and game pieces organized. I looked at the others posted on LJ and a few other places on the web for inspiration and I played around with a few designs of my own in SketchUp. As with most things I draw in SketchUp, I was spending so much t...
Hello. About a week ago I finished my chessboard project and gave it to my uncle on Christmas Eve. I do not have any good pictures of the completed project yet. My uncle’s wife is a photographer so I will soon get pictures of the board from her, then post pictures of the finished project. After the last blog entry, the first task I had to do was plane the underside of the board to fit to the groove in the frame. I just used my scrub plane to roughly flatten and bevel all edges until ...
Hello. Since my last post I got the carcase glued together. But before I glued the carcase together I drilled two countersunk holes through the rails. These are going to be for screws that will go through the rails into the board’s frame, holding the top to the carcase. The holes are slightly larger than the screws, so they should allow for any wood movement between the carcase and top. Before glue up I smoothed the inside surfaces. After the carcase was dry I clamped it to my ...
Hello. After my last post I was ready to start joinery on the main carcase. So I decided to do a dowel joint. I just used a simple block of wood with a 3/8” hole and fence clamped to it. The hole was placed so that it would be centered on 3/4” stock. I have lines drawn around the jig to locate the centre of the hole so I could align the jig to my marks on the work pieces. Here is the carcase disassembled with the dowels in place. You may be able to see in the picture the...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1368 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1391 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 393 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries