I’ve made a prototype of the knight, finally. It’s not perfect, but a good start. I’ll have to remake this one as I made a critical error in centering the cut on the front/rear view of the piece. I probably won’t post a video on this one as one piece takes me about an hour to make. I’ll post pictures as I get them done though. The eyes were made with a 1/4” forstner bit. The grooves for the hair were made with a v-groove carving chisel. All partial relief e...
Here is a quick video of turning the Castle. Thanks for watching. http://youtu.be/UY_DCk-qAg8
I usually just finish the chess pieces one at a time. I wanted to be able to get a good smooth finish on them like you do on the lathe but still be able to turn another piece without having to wait for them to dry in between coats.This is what I came up with. I drilled a 1/4” hole into 3/4” dowel and inserted a 1/4” dowel to chuck in the drill. I drilled a 3/4” hole in the holder and used a round file to ream it out so there is enough play to let it spin freely. After ...
Here is a time lapse I made of how I turn the pieces. Keep in mind I have only turned the pawns and haven’t gotten to the more complicated pieces. Because I must be crazy I am turning the pawns first, then the rooks/castles, then knights, then bishop, queen, then king…. We’ll see if that’s how it turns out. In order of power in the game. Although the king may be the weakest. This is my second dark pawn. Six more to go then on to the back row. Thanks for lookinghttp://y...
I decided to make a 4.75” chess set and board. I knew it would take a while and it has taken me about 30 minutes per pawn to turn them not including 5 coats of wipe on poly with dry time between. So far I’ve turned all of the white pawns, which are curly maple. This is the first one I turned and it’s looking pretty rough, but I’ve gotten much better since I started. It all started with these turning templates that I made. I found the design for the pieces on the web...
I gave up on finishing this checkerboard project in time for Christmas, and then I was out of commission with a bad chest cold for another three weeks. Once I was back to 100%, I got to work finishing my White Oak Bookcase project. Now it’s time I got this one back on track. The last thing I had done on this project was to glue up all the squares for the top. I did half of the board at a time and then used my biscuit joiner to join the two sections together. I put in some time ...
After several hours of carving with my Dremel tool over the last two days, I completed the custom checkers for this project. This was my first attempt at wood carving and with 48 sides to carve, it was a bit tedious, but not too difficult. My skills improved a good deal by day two and I took some extra time to go back over the first day’s checkers and make sure they were all pretty consistent. I took some video of the carving process to post as a separate blog entry once I have...
I got side tracked and didn’t accomplish any of the goals that I set for today. The day wasn’t a total loss though. I made a batch of chili and I watched a few videos on dovetail joints and marked up my boards. I need to clear space on my bench to do the cutting, so that was my excuse for not starting on them until I finish gluing up the top. Out in the garage, I glued up a few more rows and while I was waiting for the glue to dry, I started thinking about the game pieces th...
It was a good day in the garage. I need a few more like this one to keep me on track to finish this project and a few others before Christmas Eve. First I cut the pieces for the base frame, box sides, and the drawer fronts out of White Ash). Because I’m going to attempt dovetail joints for the first time on the box sides, I cut the sides by hand and jointed the edges by hand to make sure they were perfectly matched. My playing surface was about a quarter of an inch ove...
So I’ve turned some pawns out of yellow poplar to try to narrow down the look I want. I then realized I wanted to base my set off of a king so I’ve started on those. The first one looked terrible, but I think that I’ve got it. At least I hope so because I spent an hour on creating a template to duplicate this one. It is a shade over 4” and a base of about 1 3/4”. You may notice the jacked up finial on top. Well, I initally had it turned to where I could carve...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1268 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1290 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 371 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 149 entries