With the joinery completed on the table I set out to pull all of the pieces together. In this post I tackled the glue up of the table carcase and top along with the building and installation of the drawer runner assembly. With this completed the next step will be building the dovetailed drawer. Take a look and let me know what you think – thanks for reading!
For my Introduction to Woodworking class, we have a “final project” that we choose ourselves. Given that I’m learning to use hand tools, I’ve decided to make a handplane cabinet. In my latest blog entry, I show how I use Google (now Trimble) SketchUp to create the design and the use of layers and scenes to showcase the various parts of the design without duplicating any portion. This was based on information that I learned from Bob Lang in his article from Popular Woodworking. T...
I am still milling lumber, trying to get everything ready for some joinery. Once I get one side flat, I mark it “Flat”. That just helps me keep track of who’s where as I work the pieces and parts. Here is one of the birdseye maple shelves that I glued up then hand planed one side flat, mostly, and is now ready to be taken down to its final thickness. Sorry this picture is a little blurry but you can see how flat the wood is. Just so you can see the results of my swea...
After so many of my fellow lumberjocks had so many helpful bits of advice about my new glass door cabinet design, I decided to go back to the “drawing board.” We decided to shrink the cabinet down to 50 so I could stay in the 2×4 rule. I think it made the cabinets proportions better. We also decided to go with raised panels on the bottom doors. I didn’t draw it but the cabinet will have a back like my previous project. I think this gives your pieces a quality that no p...
My first blog entry showed the first step in rehabilitating an old chest. You can see step one here: http://lumberjocks.com/lumberjane/blog/15489 My next step was to add some feet to the case to get it off the ground and add some visual interest. Then I started working on the top. I made a straightforward cherry and walnut top. It was so-so. Then one of my students made a great suggestion and presto, the curved top was born (thanks to Ellen K. for her design ideas). Next I added ...
I’m in the process of designing and building a cherry nightstand to match our bedroom suite. I’m going to try and preserve the style of the furniture while remaining within my skill level. I’m actually pretty far into the build now and since I’ve taken some pictures along the way I thought I would blog the process. I’ll try to post an entry for each step as time permits. The design of the nightstand took into account the style of our current bedroom suite i...
Had a bit more time this morning and late afternoon. I finished up building the legs then got them attached. Lot’s of cleanup work is required but the rest of my time will be spent making it just so. I decided to make the inside legs into triangles. It’s a lot less work, and as I understand it, sturdier. I go a little cleanup done of the top. I’m chomping at the bit to do some more work. Id be surprised if I could get her ready for finish in ano...
I started a whole house remodel several months ago. I figured that homerefurbers, LJ’s sister blog site would be the appropriate place to do a blog. Unfortunately the site’s been taken hostage by mass spamming and no one can seem to keep up with cleaning it out. My start to this is Here at homerefurbers. It’s the beginning of 6 posts there. I’ve decided to continue the blog here. Here is the latest post, After the living room, bedroom, and bathroom. I’ve start...
My customer really liked the documenting of my last project on this site so I’m at it again. This is a really big ( for me) cabinet for dvds. It’s dimensions are 82 high and 50 wide. Glass doors on top and solid doors on bottom. Sliding dovetails while I love the look and the strength are a pain in the ass. Just my opinion. Enjoy.the model drawing
The saga continues. Spent the morning flattening the top of the Sapele panel, and trimming the ends square.Apologies, but I forgot to take a picture before my son and I flipped it over to work on the bottom side. Was sort of anticlimactic when top was flat. Not much to see in an unfinished flat 39X108” Sapele panel? Here is the bottom of the panel, with my caulk marks on what needs work in my next hand plane marathon. As I was shutting down and cleaning up due the 104 degree...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1463 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1487 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries