Today we are creating bandings from scratch. We’ve got some ideas for the wood inlay designs so we are ripping on the table saw, sanding on the drum sander, and gluing. At some point we will cut banding segments on the dedicated miter saw and then gluing some more. Plus we will be doing a bit of video shoots for the next release. Feel free to stop by. visit…The Apprentice and The Journeyman ...........Learn more, Experience more!
I have been working on a project in Cherry and before I finished the desks I decided to try out some of the General Finishes Dye stain but on the scrap test pieces the blotching was driving me nuts. I came to this site and tried all the suggestions until I came across the discussion proclaiming that Charles Neil’s pre stain conditioner was the way to go. Bought some, tried it and still had minor blotching but it works well. Watching his video he said it was a water based PVA enhanced produ...
If you have ever had material that is too large for your machines, fear not. In this video I demonstrate how I use a set of planes to achieve a time honored technique by flattening, thicknessing, and joining a live-edge, cherry table top. I hope you enjoy and please feel free to give me feedback so that I may improve in both my woodworking and video abilities.
I was gone much of yesterday, but I did manage to finish up my ornaments when I got home. I suppose that I was just too excited to leave them until the next day and couldn’t wait to see how they came out. I am really pleased with them and I hope that everyone else likes them too. After doing a final sanding on them, I dipped them in my usual mineral oil. I am finding this as my favorite method for finishing up fretwork and small pieces like this. It is quick and easy and doesn...
Well, finally got some shop time in. I cut the sockets with my father’s help a couple of weeks ago, and that went well other than one mishap due to a knot. I got out this afternoon and cleaned up the shop and then got to work on the setup for cutting the pins. That took a while but after dozen or so ;) test runs I had my wife come out and take a look to see if I was being a bit too AR. Of course I was and she said that everything looked fine. So, isn’t this the way it always goes,...
The Splined Mitre Joint is a decorative yet very strong joint. The addition of the spline and glue makes a regular mitre joint all the more stronger while aiding in keeping the mitre nice and tight. By using a contrasting wood the woodworker can achieve a very distinctive appearance at the joint. This woodworking video tutorial shows how the spline mitre joint is made using a woodworking jig on the tablesaw. For more information.visit…www.TheApprenticeandTheJourneyman.com.........
Today I’ll be staining some maple. The customer want a cherry finish. Not a new cherry wood look, but the old antique look with years patina. More like the stuff you’d find on the a showroom floor call “cherry finish”. As most of you know, maple doesn’t absorb stain very good, so to achieve a dark, rich finish is impossible with stain only. Several years ago, I standardize this finish for my customers and make to sample piece with the steps that need to be...
This is my first go around with finishing cherry. I have decided, based off of my previous blog in this series, to leave the sap wood alone. Currently I have been thinking about a base coat of shellac, followed by a couple of coats of BLO, then buffing it out with a couple of coats of wax. Opinions and/or recommendations are appreciated. I know this might be best posted over on the forum, but really wanted to keep the conversation centered around this blog…
Finishing the cherry bowl.
Well after one long month of frustration with a height issue. I finally got this project to the finishing stage today. The bentwood lamination I bragged about the last time was a bit short in height once I finished cleaning up the glue up. After multiple goes at getting all three edges even and losing 1 1/2” in height. I had my dad come over and give me a hand this week and we finally got her done. Hot glue, a straight edged board, a 1/2” upcut spiral bit, and a bushing on the old...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1586 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1611 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries