While I was waiting for the glue to try on the weave blanks….. I made a few wine bottle balancers .. These were made from some of the European Walnut and Cherry I bought a few years ago..the one on the end is Camphor cut across the grain The group shown here are all Camphor Laurel… with Australian Pennies inset in them… A close up shot… There is no finish on any of them… I will be spraying a water based finish shortly… and then watch the grain p...
Those of you who’ve been on LJ’s for a while may recall my first effort at a birdhouse which began hereSomewhere in there, I mentioned that there was another one to re-build, but I had to wait until it was vacated… Well, the thing finally fell to the ground and the sparrows were forced to re-locate…So today I had a rare free day, and decided to re-work this… Just to begin with, I didn’t like the “eaves” arrangement… I think the guy who ori...
Last hunting season I found a nice big cherry burl on a dead tree that was still standing. We had our camp work day this past weekend so I cut down the burl while I was there. I already had a nice cherry log that my neighbor gave me about three months ago. A friend of mine told me about a guy that could cut them and his mill was only a few miles from my house. Since I had the burl on my trailer I figured I would load the log and get them cut.The guy that milled the wood for me h...
Today was a very productive day. I had a some time to ruff turn my big black walnut blank and put it on the shelve to dry completely. There also was some time to finish my walnut root bowl and the small cherry bowl. I’m still improving my skill set with every bowl that’s finish. I must say if I look back at the first day I started turning and successfully broke a tool whiles impaling a peace of test wood into my garage wall. I’m much more comfortable with the different speed of the lathe and ...
I am up to the nerve wracking part of this build. I need to put some dados into the sides of the clock, but since both the sides and front/back are angled, the dados need to be angled. I’ve been thinking about how to do this since I started this project. Use a stack dado set and the table saw? Yeah, that would work, but I don’t think the cut will be as precise as I need it to be and the cut would register on the front edge of one side and the back edge of the other side. That...
Now that the front and back have been assembled, I’m on to making the sides and the shelves that will sit in dados cut into the sides. Today’s blog is getting thoses sides made and ready for the dado process. That means basic milling. So I start with rough lumber, layed out for the best match I think. I check the direction the grain is running by planing a bit on each piece. This will allow the grain to be running the same when the whole piece is glued up and, hopefully, make...
OK, maybe all of my wood-tec type friends out on LJ,s can help me figure this out. I’ve allways been fascinated with the dynamics of curing and drying wood after the harvesting process. One to overcome is of cource the growth vortex that occures in some species and not in others. One question I have is this, Is there a right-hand vortex that occures above the equator as opposed to a left hand one bellow the equator? When a tree wiggles and struggles up out of the grownd, It also “...
I have decide to turn only reclaimed, American woods. I’m doing this for several reasons:1) There are trees that we pass, and largely ignore, everyday. Turning this wood gives me a chance to reintroduce myself and others to to this amazing world. I love the outdoors, and I go hiking, exploring, and “wood hunting” with my son quite often. I want to be able to point to a tree and tell him what it is. But as I’ve started trying to identify the species of wood that I&...
So one of the things I like about this hobby is there is always something new to try and for a person that has a hard time with doing the same thing constantly that is a good thing. The problem with that is there is always something new and I have not yet found one thing to focus one, I am not sure if that is a good thing or not. But until I figure it out I am pretty happy trying as much as I can. That being said I have decided to tackle a cutting board. My first one is to be for a gift a...
Today I had some spare time and managed to get a little bit of work done on the next part of my latest box, the raised panels…If you recall, I had procured a couple of Oak drawer sides from my folk’s house, and given them a quick, rough sanding…Next was to size them… I first squared them on one side, clamped up the box sides, then took a size from them for the width… It was then a simple matter, to transfer the size to the saw… and cut them to width… ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries