This is a bevel-down low angle block, bedded at 37° This one was also an exercise in lamination. Cherry and walnut, with a white oak sole. Finish is Waterlox and wax. It darkened the cherry considerably (and the cherry has continued to darken all on its own), so the contrast isn’t what I was originally going for. Again, the glueup was done with UF glue. While the number of pieces would have been manageable with PVA, I didn’t feel like rushing. It took 3 separate glueups t...
This one was an exercise in lamination. 6 primary species of wood – western maple, red oak, sapele, cherry, birch and walnut. Two pieces of each species, each piece at a different thickness, and some random veneer thrown in between each primary wood piece, for a total of 23 layers. The sole is white oak. Glue is urea formaldehyde, so I could glue it up in one go. Didn’t think I could get it done with PVA. The bed is 45 degrees, and was my first double iron plane. I someho...
Managed to get all four sections of the top glued up. A bit laborious, but pretty straightforward. Decided to take a suggestion and use some jatoba for contrast. The plan was to glue up 4 sections of boards. Then I’d flatten each section before gluing the sections together. The rationale was that it would be easier to flatten each section using the powered jointer and planer than it would be the entire top using hand planes. There were two problems with this approach, both of whic...
It has been a L-O-N-G and C-O-L-D Winter here in New Hampshire!!Perhaps we didn’t break single day records, but it has been consistently cold since last October, which dealt a crippling blow to my enthusiasm for Woodworking… The Temperature in the Basement Shop here hovered around 40° for most of that time, too cold for whatever determination I possess!But the Calendar pages turn, and Good Old Sol continues to ride higher in the Sky, with inevitable results… It is fin...
Next I decided to make the base. Since I wanted the skirt to match the skirt on our Captain’s Chest I copied the pattern onto paper then created a 1/4” ply pattern by gluing the paper to the ply, rough cutting with the bandsaw, then carefully sanding the edges using my disc sander and oscillating sander. I screwed the ply pattern to what would be the back of the front skirt piece and rough cut with my bandsaw. I then used a pattern bit on my router table to finish off the cur...
Yes I did use a pattern gotten out of one of the recent ScrollSaw Magazines. Made 2 copies of overall pattern, one to use as a guide when placing the cut pieces together and keeping them in order, the other to make numerous copies on my home printer to attach to the selected woods by using clear shelf paper with glue on one side found at Home Depot. These then are cut out to match any adjoining piece and placed on my master copy. Once completed with cut outs, creat the different depths you...
After getting my legs glued up, I decided to look at my plan to see how it would fit the likely final leg dimensions. And realized that the 6×6 legs in the SketchUp model would likely end up at 5 1/2” x 5 1/2”. So I spent a couple hours making tweaks. Adjusting the leg dimensions was easy. I also simplified a bunch of the joinery. Used LayOut to make dimensioned drawings for leg joinery. After all, I have 4 legs glued up and waiting for action. Was about to start cuttin...
I’ve been planning a workbench build for two years, maybe a bit longer. Started by reading everything I could, followed by some quality SketchUp time. Had a design, changed it. Tweaked it again. Threw the design out and started over. More tweaking followed. And so on… Settled on a Roubo variant, and ordered Benchcrafted hardware. A year and a half ago. Complete re-design once again. Did a couple tweaks to that and ordered the lumber. Should be well-acclimated to my shop by n...
As I have mentioned in an earlier post, it was decided early on that we would make the bottom shelf slatted instead of flat plywood. This actually turned out to be a little more challenging that I had hoped. It ended up with 12 slats, originally 14 but I dropped the 2 outer slats because I felt the joinery would be too busy, all connected with dominos to the front and rear rails. I also went ahead and pre-finished this shelf in anticipation of access issues while spraying. This piec...
The face frames were not all that involved so I did not take a lot of pictures of the cuts and positioning of the parts. Most of the pieces were square edged pieces joined with dominos. At one point I had to decide on whether or not to include a reveal around the curved rail that framed the open space in the front of the piece. I did take pictures of the face frame both ways, in the end I decided to go with the reveal because I felt that the shadow line provided by the reveal really added...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1358 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1381 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 391 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 224 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 189 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 179 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 154 entries