This was my first time using tung oil. I watched a couple videos on youtube about it just to be sure that I wasn’t going to mess something up after reading the instructions on the can. It was really easy and I really like the results a heck of a lot. I waited 48 hours to do anything with it. After that, I suppose that the wood expanded a bit from absorbing the oil. Maybe I’m imagining things, though, but I had to do some sanding on the lid in order to have the lid fit like it did before I ...
With the tenons cut and fitted to their respective mortises, it’s time to taper the legs. I want the legs to taper down from 1-1/2” to 1-1/8” starting about 5” from the top. I marked an 1-1/8” square at the bottom of each leg. By the time I marked all the legs it started to turn dark … a storm was blowing in … ... and the shop quickly became as black as the inside of a cat! ... better call it a night! After a good night’s rain, I finished defining the 1-1/8” s...
I’ve been sick for about a week, so I was unable to do anything with this project so for those of you who are following along and looking forward to my next entry, my apologies for the delay. All of the repairs set up pretty well and are stable. I tried making a paste with sawdust and glue for the repairs to the maple (in each of the four corners, where my router bit went too deep), but the color isn’t right. They’re stable, and the box is for me, so it’s ok. I think part of the issue with...
What crazy weather we’ve been having in Atlanta. One week there’s ice all over everything with temperatures in the teens, and the next week we are all running around in shorts enjoying temperatures in the 70s. It’s a wonder we’re not all in the hospital! Taking advantage of the warm days, I decided to put in a few hours cutting the frame members to size and forming the tenons. First, I ripped the front, sides and back to the required 4-1/2” width. After jointing th...
In our kitchen is an antique hoosier cabinet in need of some serious restoration. I know the antique purists will say don’t touch it, it’s worth much more with the original everything even if it is falling apart but the cabinet is not an investment so much as a place to keep our corn flakes and bread. The Front of the cabinet and drawers seem to be mostly ok. There is a bit of cracking near the end grain on the top of a couple of the face boards but they seem to be stable now...
I took the clamps off of my box and flush trimmed the lid using my router before doing some sanding to remove and glue or dings and dents that were especially bad to my eye. I didn’t really go nuts sanding, as I planned on doing it thoroughly and properly once all splines and any additional detail had been trimmed and shaping had been completed. I cut the kerfs for my splines with a newer blade of mine, which was a mistake. Since I’m cheap and don’t have $100 to spend on a single s...
I went ahead and glued my sides together the other day. The sides actually went together well. I never have had band clamps on hand and I liked how they seemed to make the process simpler for me. I had previously used blue tape to hold mitered corners in place, which had worked well, but these clamps really allowed me to apply pressure where tape would just not. Then, I glued and clamped the lid down while trying to keep the detail work lined up as closely as I could. However, before I...
I have now completed the rear half of the Grader apart from the wheels. Most of the cab is made from New Zealand Kauri with American Cherry for hinges on the doors. The rear tool box is also Kauri. I have temporarily pinned the two halves together and sat the rear axle on blocks for a better idea of how the whole thing will look a little later on. I made the hinges on the doors slightly out of alignment so that they bind a little when fully opened. This keeps them in the open po...
I have decided to build a simple dovetail box to store a set of Narex mortising chisels. I am retiring these chisels from service and decided they needed a proper resting spot.In addition my dust collection system just died so I decided to build the box using all hand tools.Now a simple box has 6 sides. This means I have to dimension 6 pieces of wood. Each piece of wood has 6 sides. Simple math tells me I have to true up 6×6 or 36 sides.Now a box has 12 edges. and each edge has 2 matchin...
So…I’m a bit nervous. I’m nervous because the progress that I made on this box went very well last night. The other shoe has to drop at some point, right? Maybe the woodworking gods have decided that they’ve given me enough ‘experience’ for this project. Who knows… Last night, after having re-RE-glued one of my side pieces, I ran all four of them through the planer, being really careful to go as slowly as possible while bringing them all to the same thickness. I averted another disaster an...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 86 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries