I don’t usually sand with 60 grit, but I went through disc after disk getting the last of the bark off the sides and getting it rough sanded. I’ve left a tiny bit of the inner layer of bark here and there because it is quite difficult to get all of it off. I will apply a bit of finish over a section at some point to see how it looks before deciding if I need to go the extra mile. Because of the sharp angle on most of the edge, it will not be particularly visible day to day. He...
For the waterfall leg, I’m using Full Blind Multiple Splined joinery as described by Tage Frid. I discovered this method by asking a question in a forum post here on LJ. Thanks to Woodendeavor and Randy-ATX for directing me this way. I purchased three of his books. This description is found on pp. 102ff of Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, Book 1: Joinery The joint looks like this: The two biggest keys will be to cut the slab correctly and building the jig so the miters line up...
I left the bark on the piece for my coffee table, but thought if it ever became a problem, I’d take it off. My understanding is that the bark is safe to keep on if the slab has been kiln dried. Air dried bark will have bugs. Since this is a gift, I’m taking the bark off from the beginning. The bark was pretty stubborn on this piece. i’d heard that some folks find an angle grinder handy to do this. I found it helpful, but not as helpful as a more sophisticated tool I ...
I’m not an expert in Live Edge work. I’m doing this blog because I’m making this as a wedding gift, and I thought the recipients might find it interesting after they receive it. Perhaps some folks on LJ might find it helpful as they work through similar issues. I found an image on the net that serves as an inspirationIt will not be a copy at all, since I’ll be using a thinner slab, different wood, and a variation on the design. I’d already decided to do a w...
Four months ago I asked some advice on how to construct a waterfall leg on a live edge table. I’m finally beginning construction after several things got in the way. The first step was finding the right board. The nearest sawmill to me (19 vs. 45 miles one way) was clean out of live edge pieces. I called the next closest sawmill and he was looking at $150-200 for a slab, so I decided to take a “chance on two 1 boards on CL on Craigslist. They had been sitting in a barn for g...
My nephew didn’t want any more pics to go up until he had a chance to show it to his mother and grandmother (my sister), so I haven’t posted any update. However, since today was return to home day, all may be revealed. After finishing the main box, he cut and glued four cleats to the underside of the top. He clamped up the front and back cleats first, and then snuck up on the length of side cleats. They fit perfectly. I guess I didn’t take any pictures of him cuttin...
I had another busy day yesterday. I had to take my kitty Coco to the vet yesterday to get a little bump on her paw checked out. Fortunately, it turned out to be nothing and she is fine. I was kind of worried that she would have to go through surgery or something like that to get it removed, but the vet said it wasn't a concern. I am sure Coco was happy as well, but she still wasn't thrilled with the ride to the vet and back (about 45 minutes each way). She was just thrilled to b...
A few years ago (before we were married), my wife bought me a monstrously huge pepper mill (I think it was about 3 feet long). It was awesome, except for the fact that it was a pain to use and had formed a fairly substantial crack over the years. Fate would have it that my daughter developed a huge love for dismantling it (apple doesn’t fall far from the tree), and lost several key pieces of the grind mechanism. After a painful hunt, we decided to give up on that mill and consider bu...
Yesterday was busy from dawn to dusk – and beyond! I am thrilled to say that the ornaments that I drew up over the weekend were accepted for Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts holiday issue of the magazine. I am really excited about this, because I haven't done much work with them and I hope to become a regular contributor. Last year I had one of my candle trays in that publication, and I have been trying to remind myself to submit to them regularly, but I often let the time sli...
Building a Ditty Box--first project for my nephew #4: Learning some more new skills, completing the main box
I haven’t been taking as many pictures the last bit, but we’ve made a lot of progress. We we neared the completion of the main box, we needed to make some bevels on the bottom trim. Rather than resort to the router, we went for the more hand finished look, making the bevels with a plane.They came out really well, and after assembly, he also beveled the corners as you’ll see below. It all turned out very nice. Next came the glue up of the bottom trim pieces and the inst...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1390 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1414 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 182 entries
- stefang - 168 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries