I now have a video-cam, so I tried it out with this Video of My Table.This is a first time for me with the new camera, so I hope you’ll enjoy this.
This end result is a nice little side table, but I must confess, it is not up to my standards. It will make a nice table along side the couch. I’m finishing in haste to get the subscription to PW, but I will continue my challenge and improve this table more at a later date. My son (age 3) loves to hang out in the woodshop, so he can help me. Bottom line, the baby girl goes to the doctor on time, I get my challenge finished, and my son gets to help me finish it next week! Legs, si...
I trusted that the bit for my pocket hole jig was correctly set. I was wrong. When I attached the top to the sides and legs, here is the result. I like the way the table looks, but the holes on top are enough to make me pull out my dwindling hairs. As a result, I had to resort to nailing the top to the legs in order to finish the contest and take my little angel to the doctor.UGH! The smaller holes are from the brad nailer.
Ok, Here’s the deal. Its 12:35pm. My daughter has a doctors appt at 3:45. I have procrastinated my challenge project to the point that I had to abandon my idealistic goal of glueless wedge tenons. I do reserve the right to rechallenge myself at a later date on that joint. I will get it done!The legs are clamped up and nearly dry Here's the top. Pocket holes have replaced wedge tenons...Yes, I'm in a hurry. The sides are small, but mighty!
5000 words on the table, quirks and all: more info in the project post.
The Thorsen House Side Table project is finally finished. The goal of this Challenge was to motivate new expression of the traditional table and to find other ways to interpret the work. I have benefited from this challenge by enhancing my knowledge of the Greene & Greene style. I have read more about their work in the last few months than I have over the past ten years. I found other ways to incorporate the Greene & Greene style in my interpretation and perspective of the Tho...
I decided that I was going to finish the table yesterday. As I eluded to in my shop tour, the top is slate, specifically a piece of an old school chalkboard. (I have 4 or 5 large pieces courtesy of my grandfather). Months ago I hung up a 2x3 (ish) piece in the kitchen with a couple screws, it drilled really easy and cleanly. I expected to be able to cut this with my jigsaw, but I meant to pick up (or look for) something else - just in case, when I was out getting a few things at the Bi...
I should have made a paper template of the parts for this table (actual size). Until I finally cut everything down to size I didn't really see how small this table really was, and with the off cuts I have lying around (had I been more careful early on) I could have made a pair of tables! Lesson learned there. Oddly I did this with my first box in order to figure out my cut list (and how to best maximize a tiny piece of cherry I used for it. If only I remembered. Anyhow, I'm feeling ...
I have these 2 rails to resaw into 4 aprons. Cutting off the trim detail (that held the window panes in place) allowed these to fit in my small bandsaw. Unfortunately with this project now well underway, and really close to the deadline, I’m find I may be trying too many new things, with this project. I didn't feel like removing the 2x4 MDF zero-clearance top to my tablesaw to resaw these with the fence I have set up for the standard top (as is my most practiced method). So I tho...
I have really enjoyed looking at all the completed projects. They are truly awesome. I installed the pegs last week. I used a shim to help prevent installing the pegs too deep. It worked well. I put tape around the peg mortises to help in the clean up of any glue squeeze out. For the finish I used a combination tung oil and urethane mix. Three coats so far and with some 400-600 grit smoothing in between another 2-3 coats should do it. You can see some of the details of the peg...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries