[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] This morning I had an appointment, but before I left I unclamped yesterday’s glue-ups and glued up another back piece and the last two seat frames. When I returned it was time to peg the seat frames for which I made a jig. Always save your scrap! You never know when you’ll need to make a jig. [Below] This jig is only used to mark where I want to drill the holes for the pegs. It makes them more evenly spaced than exactly positioned. [...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] [Below] I designed the seat frame to try and conceal the end grain of each board once the chair is completely assembled. Unfortunately this makes it a bit difficult to glue up. A band clamp won’t hold things together well, so I use my trusty bar clamps. [Below] It’s true that you can’t ever have too many clamps in the shop. I was only able to glue up 4 of the 6 chair seat frames today. I’ll let them set overnight and begin again t...
[Legeble ankaŭ en Esperanto] During the prototype process I built a 2-in-1 jig to make tapering the legs easier. [Below] Even though I chose boards that were pretty clear, they were still just common pine boards and had some small knots in them. By cutting the lengths carefully I eliminated some of them. Via the tapering of the legs, I was able to cut out a few more bad spots. (The wedge shaped cut offs from this project can be glued together and used for small projects.) ...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] I wanted to get the bent lamination for the back out of the way because I wanted to leave it over night in the press. [Below] I’ve learned from experience to protect the outer faces of the lamination with tape. Other wise the glue squeeze out gets on the edges and it takes more time to scrape/sand it off. I’m using packing tape here because I was out of wide masking tape. [Below] The press is made from some particle board and it is just ...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] This is a step by step ‘tutorial’ for the finished project located here: [link] [Above] I’m using a 1×12 to build this chair, I’m actually building 6 chairs, but just add the plurals where needed. I began by cross cutting the board in half to make it more manageable. [Above] I ripped the board into 3 inch strips. These are pretty much the standard width for most of the pieces. A 2 inch strip is left over, but part of ...
Just uploaded a new walk through video of the shop and on going projects…... Yes you guessed it rocking chairs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLXuGlxIBUk
This is the blog describing how i made this chair. For a long time I have had this corner of my garden that have a place for a bonfire. We use it a lot and the favorite is making pancakes using a pan on a long stick. My son loves it! But the place itself could use some help. Especially the chairs are a bit annoying. I keep them because they were a gift from a friend and have a fun story to them (they are made by the inmates of a local prison that houses long term prisoners): The ...
[Above] I’m still slowly working on the first two of ten chairs I’ll be building. ‘ll blame the filming for slowing me down. One of the backs has a flaw in it, chip out from my router and I’m trying to fix it with sawdust and glue. three tries so far. he photo shows the two chairs nested one n the other (a feature!) and the two backs. A third back is in the bending clamp. I also now have some data on materials: From 2 1”x12”x8’ I can get th...
I decided to start cutting the parts for two of the ten chairs I plan on building to match the conference table I made last year. In the photo above you can see the parts cut out and ready for some milling, sanding and assembling. I’m also filming this process. I cut the 3 inch wide lengths out of a 1×12. As I was ripping, I encountered my first ever ‘pinch.’ The wood closed around the blade and riving knife to the point where I couldn’t even try to push it...
Sometimes things break. This is one of those cases. There was probably a defect in the wood that was undetectable when I built the chair and when the wrong set of forces were applied to the chair, one of the two legs broke after the joint. To fix the chair, I built a sled that would ride on the table saw and support the chair standing up and would allow me to use a spacer block, after the first cut to create a new mortise for the bridal joint. Here is the chair in the sled. Noti...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries