Leaving the tool chest for a moment; we go back a few years to the Domesday Book and 1086 and an interesting fact – 13 saws were recorded in the kingdom, bowsaws were common at the time so what kind of saws were these? Probably not sawmills; mills are mentioned aplenty and millponds too but they were agricultural mills. These are probably pitsaws, a gruelling job for two men; one of them in the pit and the other steering the two-handed saw and balancing on the level tree-trunk as they r...
You can’t do a project like this without being impressed by the beauty and brevity of the names of the tools. No fancy Roman or Greek words, they’re all earthy old Anglo Saxon or old French: Adze, axe, awl, wedge, mallet, froe, to say nothing of scorp or felloe – I could go on and on, but as we are coming to “saws” and “planes” and “braces”, I thought this was a good time to bring this matter up. The age of these words indicates the venerable history of these tools. I looked a few of th...
You may be wondering when I am going to stop daydreaming and get on with making a chair. The short movie that I produced to accompany this entry provides a ‘short-cut’ to the main action! It’s just that I know that some people are going to ask “What’s the point in making furniture by hand?” and I think that it’s difficult to explain, I certainly can’t put it in a sentence. I have read entire books by people who have tried to answer this question ( e.g. David Pye – “Th...
The “Island” is the land that accompanies Lethenty Mill. It stretches from its widest part at the Mill to its narrowest about half a mile up the Lochter Burn. It used to be very important to the Mill; water was collected in a long narrow channel leading to a dam near the Mill, and it could be released into a variety of channels under and around the Mill which were arranged to feed the water to the two water wheels or back into the water course (the Lochter) if the system was full and li...
Latest and greatest project is for my sister-in-law that is due to have a baby any day now. I am doing the style out of Wood Magazine issue #183. Everything is going well, but I lost the paper that has the rest of the patterns on it for the seat slats. So Jocks if any one has this issue and wouldn’t mind scanning or what ever I would appreciate it. Here is a picture of what it looks like now.
Im getting close to the final product. Here I am flush cutting the plugs. They are still a little proud, but sanding will take care of that. I decided to spare you by not including pictures of me sanding. I just have one word – dusty. Here it the base that will be attached to the chair. I had a piece of spruce that was kicking around the shop for some time. This was the perfect opportunity to put it to use as the “adaptor plate” for the base and chair. It was a little ...
I was late getting home this evening so my time was limited in the shop. My main task was to plug all the holes where I used screws . . . not the pocket screws as they are all hidden. I popped the fence on the BS and lined everything up. This is the first time I used the fence . . . its 4” high and came standard with the saw. I like it. After I ran the plugs through I was left with this. Instead of using any type of wood glue to hold the plugs I use a secret formula . . . ...
I have not been out of the shop for a couple of days and I had a little mishap on Friday while staining the deck. 99.9% of the time when I am outdoors I am wearing coveralls . . . what I wear underneath is determined by other factors. :-) On Friday I said to myself “self, why not get some sun on your white skin and vitamin D into your system” . . . “I said sure, why not.” For the 2 hours outside in the sunshine I wore a pair of trunks. Well . . . my entire back, one thigh and both forearm...
This is where I started tonight – I attached the back to the seat of the chair. This is what it looks like when everything underneath is attached – front, back and side stretchers. Next on the list is the arms. I placed them up against the chair to see what it will look like. I then cut the end of both arms to match with the uprights. The next step is to remove the area that I have marked in red. The area to be removed would taper into the front curve. I’m debat...
Not much happened in the shop this evening. I decided to attach the Back Stretchers. Firstly I had to do some marking on the inside of the Back Posts so I would get a good idea on where to drill the recessed holes for the screws. I drilled pilot holes from the inside out and used those holes to guide the bit for the recessed screws. Here I am at the DP. I actually managed to take this picture myself using the timer function. Yea . . . I know . . . all cameras have timers, however ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries