Saturday was the day. Mr. Dorje came over with the tools and know-how, I provided assistance when able. We spent about seven hours, milling five logs each between six an eight feet long, and about 26” in diameter. The two widest logs we milled into 10/4 slabs, the rest we milled closer to 5/4 planks. The 10/4 is ear-marked for a friend of mine who will use it to make electric guitar bodies. The rest? I’ll figure that out when it is dry and as the need arises. It was a g...
I promised some more info about my log building course experience. There has been some delay due to some discussions with the course owner about intellectual property. That is another discussion on its own, but for now we have to come to terms about what I may ‘reveal’ or how I may approach this so that his proprietary techniques are not fully revealed. My own view is that personal instruction is still the way to master these techniques and knowing what to do it will not take away...
For the past couple months I’ve been trying to get my hands on some green wood to practice with. Aside from being cheaper it’s so much nicer to turn and there’s very little dust involved. I called several tree services around town and finally found someone who was willing to let me come by and go through his wood pile. Unfortunately, work got in my way three weeks ago, and the flu got in his way the week after that. Work was hectic again this week so I was expecting to go another seven da...
Last step in the process (well not the last – but close to it – still have to get back over there and paint, or otherwise seal the endgrain, which hasn’t done much in the way of checking with all the freezing temps and the moisture we’ve been getting) ...I set up a level ‘foundation’ for the lumber stack. Made sure it was up off the ground and spaced the beams just under 2ft apart:.........Here’s a couple shots of the progress. My wife helped me h...
Here’s a little more ‘milling around’ for fun:........ This board turned out to have some really interesting spalting…........ And, upon closer examination:........... One with our stacks:........ And our final parting shot! ........ This concludes the milling process. What a blessing it was to have Mike’s support in this process. I can thank LJ for that! And a HUGE thanks to Mike directly! That was a lot of fun last Wednesday. Just amazing what can come f...
At the end of this short video you’ll see me look up at Mike. If you listen closely you can hear the saw hit some more metal….... .... At some point after the next few cuts we hit our 3rd and 4th nails within the same board:........ But, look what we have here!........ Here’s a shot of the “scene” at this point (there’s a few board feet of sawdust):........ We’ll finish up the sawing in the next installment…We uncovered a real gem just a bit ...
After the slabbing cut, we continued to cut the first half of the log. Here’s a short video of Mike on the saw….... .... After a few cuts we hit a nail…pulled the saw out and cut from the other end…chipped a tooth but nothing really terrible; the chain was still relatively sharp, so we continued to cut!............ Here’s the spalting a bit closer up…it gets even better in the 2nd half!....... .... A bookmatch shot for fun…........ MORE TO COME!....
On the same cold, crisp, gorgeous day in Sunny Seattle…the next thing we did was mount a 2×12x12 to the top of the 1st half of the maple log as a guide board to establish our first flat face from which we could continue to cut with just the chainsaw mill. The 2×12 had 2×2 runners screwed on to it to keep it flat and a wee bit more ridgid. One hooked over the edge, while the other was inset a few inches to “shim” the board to “level” it out (all ...
Well, today was the day that fellow LJ, Mike Lingenfelter, and I got to the milling of that maple log in the next door neighbor’s yard… After talking the plan of attack out for awhile, we determined that we’d halve the 35-40” diameter log in two, prop ‘em up on edge to mill them. Our reason was simple: the saw, with the 36” bar and 36” milling attachment, would only give us around a 30” wide maximum cut. So, this log was just a bit too ...
Another step in the process: I was able to get out and pick up the saw, a Stihl 046, and the 36” Alaskan mill. I may not realistically get to the cutting stage for another week or two, but the excitement has not passed. I’m looking forward to it…just need to find a whole day that I can take to work on this…and those are rare! I’m also working on a bed frame – so there’s gonna be some juggling of time and resources around here! Also, I may loo...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1392 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1416 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 170 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries