LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'cello'

  • Advertise with us
View Dave Rutan's profile

Shopmade Luthier Tools #29: Brass bridge templates and bevel gauge

09-05-2017 06:17 PM by Dave Rutan | 4 comments »

To badly mis-paraphrase a character from Babylon 5, “Zathras wants to have something nice.” A while ago I made a set of templates out of plastic for creating the arc that is on the top of violin and cello bridges. I was determined that eventually I would replace them with brass ones once I found a source for the brass. Well, eBay sells this 5-inch brass ruler that is an inch wide for less than $2 each… So I decided to start with a template for a full size viol...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Shopmade Luthier Tools #28: Violin and Cello Stick Clamps

08-20-2017 01:50 AM by Dave Rutan | 1 comment »

I have a project coming up, so I’m gearing up beforehand. I have a cello to repair in a fairly major way. The larger clamps are for the cello, though they may be long enough for a double bass, or at least not a full size one. The smaller clamps are meant for violins, though they may even fit on a viola. The sticks are 1/4” dowels and the heads are mahagony. There is a slight chance the heads might come off even though they are glued, so I may pin them before use. The cla...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Shopmade Luthier Tools #25: More spool clamps

08-09-2017 09:56 PM by Dave Rutan | 1 comment »

I continue my acquisition of toolls for repairing cellos and contra basses. These add to the orignal dozen that I need for bssses and get me closrr to the two dozen I want to have for cellos. FYI the dowel pieces for these were salvaged from an old snow shovel handle. Never throw a wooden handle out. It’s just a big dowel after all. They cost $$ if you have to buy them! [Below] Witness that my daughter’s animals tend to cause trouble if left to themselves.

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Shopmade Luthier Tools #20: Neck Clamps for Violin, Cello, etc...

04-03-2017 05:09 PM by Dave Rutan | 5 comments »

There are at least two instruments in the shop that need necks reattached. I was shown how to do this when the entire neck is detached, but two cellos are broken at the joint and the method shown me might not work so well. Google to the rescue! I found photos of commercially available models, selling for multiple tens of dollars, and decided I could make my own. I used some of the mahogany at my disposal, some 3/8 in. threaded rod, and some sheet cork I was given a few years ago. ...

Read this entry »


View PhiltheLuthier's profile

Making a Cello #10: A real work out!

12-07-2012 05:06 PM by PhiltheLuthier | 7 comments »

What!! 2 days later!!! Well maybe I want to finish before the Aztec calendar runs out so that I don’t have to switch to a new time keeping system in the middle of a cello build. What a billing disaster that would be! I joined the Spruce plate without a single bit of trouble shortly after writing the last blog post. Next came re-flattening the back side of the plates. The set up: I sanded out the plane marks with a random orbit sander, 60, 120 and 220 grit to finish. giving ...

Read this entry »


View PhiltheLuthier's profile

Making a Cello #3: Working on flattening the plates.

05-25-2012 03:33 PM by PhiltheLuthier | 7 comments »

So I haven’t gotten to the ribs yet because I need a bending strap and they seem to be harder to get than they should be. First I tried ordering the sheet metal to make one from McMaster-Carr, but apparently I’m no longer considered an “established customer” so they canceled my order. It seems they don’t like to send stuff to Canada, go figure. Next I decided to order a ready made one from International Violin, but they’re back ordered, so I’ll just ...

Read this entry »


View techyman2's profile

Cello#8 final contours and hollowing out the back

03-06-2011 12:50 AM by techyman2 | 6 comments »

Hi all,THe last entry saw the contour shapes made. These were chacked against the cross section templates. I need to check the form is accurate against the contour plan. Remember the plan shown below. It is used to make comparisons with the existing contours on the cello back. THe contours are drawn on to the back using a simplistic type of surface gauge aka a bit of wood with a pencil held on to a flat surface. The pencil point is set at the height of the contour and this is ma...

Read this entry »


View techyman2's profile

Cello#2 happy clamper

10-21-2010 11:35 PM by techyman2 | 4 comments »

So far so good. The mold has come out fine had some small adjustments to make to the corner block seats. I cut them too large to start with and then had to add on. the mold was sanded and sealed with water based varnish which is ok. the curved edges will be coated with candle wax to stop the ribs, sides, of the cello sticking when they are glued to the blocks. The prep of the blocks took some time as the wood was initially split with a cleaver to make sure the grain is running parrellel and a...

Read this entry »


View techyman2's profile

cello #1

10-19-2010 10:38 PM by techyman2 | 8 comments »

Every now and then you need to face a challenge. This is my latest. I had been working up to this for quite a few months. Luckily I have some project funds and what with my suppliers prices going up and VAT increases in the new year I felt it was the right time. A friend who plays asked if I could make him a cello but I felt that I could not commit his resources and expectations on the first one so I am making it for myself. Goodness knows why as I don’t play. However, he asked for a St...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com