Hey to all you LJs, Consideration #1 I thought that I would start a series on drying green domestic burl wood. With burl wood the end grain is going every direction and is under more internal pressure thus making it want to self destruct. Green burls or straight grain have two places where water finds its home. Inside the cells and outside the cells, this is called bound water (inside the cells) and free water (outside the cell walls). Free water is easier to escape than the bound wa...
Hi everyone. I first off want to say I am sorry it took so long to get back here. Between Facebook, Google plus and Youtube and my website http://www.asimpledesignofocala.com . I never made it back here to update this series. Well the Hickory Chest build went very well. It ended up being an eight video series from start to finish. The Hickory Chest featured Raised Panel construction and the chest was lined with cedar. This project started when a client asked me to build a blanket chest for...
Recently I had a need to build a new table saw base for my saw. Rather than just building a simple replacement base, I opted to build one with lots of storage potential. This new base measures 6 feet long by 2 feet wide, which gave me good reason to move over to the new shop building. I haven’t yet finished the new shop set up ( haven’t even started) but this build is a great start giving me lots of options for storage potential… This build is a 2 part project. So be sure to...
My Grandma has been cleaning out her garage and the garage that was Grandpa’s shop and has found several boards for me. I went by last night and picked them up, the biggest of the boards was this Cedar 2×10 that is 8’ long. I wire brushed a lot of the dirt off the board but then I needed to plane the rough sawn board to get a look at the wood. Here is the stack of the other boards, it’s a mix of walnut and cedar with maybe a few other types of wood in there. I...
With the lid built, joinery done, hinges mortised and everything sanded it’s off to the finishing room. The maple panels were finished earlier while making the frame, so all thats left was finishing the frame parts. There are over 40 frame pieces and I wanted to get as much pre-finishing done as I could. Here is a snapshot of my finishing area and some of the materials I’ll be using. I’ll start with 2 coats of General Finish Seal a Cell, followed by many coats of ArmorSeal. In between...
Well if you have made it this far, why not go a little further and watch the conclusion of this chest. It has been a fun build so far for me. I hope it has been informative and somewhat enjoyable for you to watch as well. Now I know the video quality isnt the best. but As I go on it has gotten better….Now in this present day I have a new camera, lighting and it has helped a lot. Here are the final 3 videos of this chest build. Parts 6, 7, 8 Part 8 was pretty basic, the installation ...
So first I sanded up the bottom detail using a drum sander on my ancient drill press next I cut the dado for the bottom to set in. I don’t have a dado blade so I just make multiple passes on the table saw. After that is done, I move on to sand the inside of the box. Since it is nearly impossible to do after the box is together this is the perfect time to do it. Now it’s just a little glue and some tape. I have found that with boxes this small tape is more than enou...
Hello everyone, a short time ago I posted a project titled Cedar Window Box. In that project post I mentioned that I would check with the client for their approval on posting the dimensioned SketchUp graphics I created. Well, they approved. I put together a brief, and I mean brief, video that includes the dimensions for all of the major components of the window box. I had to do it this way because the graphics were too large to post on the project page. The clarity is not as good as I had ...
This is a continuation of the Hickory Chest build. This is an 8 video series. Here we continue with part 3, 4 and 5
After my previous post here, I got numerous feedback and great ideas from professionals on this site on how to optimize the cutlist diagram to make it useful for professional wood workers. This lead me to develop “Carpenter Cut” app for iPad/iPhone devices. It goes like this: Start with a sheet of plywood (e.g. 48×96), tell it the dimensions and quantity of each part you want to cut from it. Specify the kerf (size for your saw blade (0.125 is the default)), and indicate gr...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1806 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 126 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 111 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1831 entries
- dbhost - 438 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 318 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries