I have an old Mahogany (I think) blanket chest. Looks like it was hand carved. Really nice piece of furniture. It has a little wear and tear, and thats where I need your help. There are a few large scratches I would like to clean up / fix. Is there an easy way to fix this, to get the color close to matching? What kind of general advice do you have for cleaning up a nice old piece such as this? I will be buying new hinges for it too. The hardware on it is goldish – what i m...
This is the first entry in this series, but I’m already halfway into the White Oak version of my Rockler Adirondack chair. I’m also building a Western Red Cedar version, but haven’t started dimensioning the boards yet. I’m starting the blog at this point in the project, because 1. I wasn’t a member of LJ before starting the project and 2. I need to get my thoughts down about what I’ve learned so far, because this is really my first TRUE hardwood project...
Camperizing the truck from the wood shop. #4: Considerations for construction materials and weight issues.
Now those that have seen pics of my truck now I drive a half ton pickup. Okay so the payload rating is actually well over that, actually well over 3/4 of a ton, but they are doing funny things with truck ratings and classifications these days. Still weight is a consideration when building any sort of truck bed camper. Working with my Sketchup drawings, and looking at the assemblies it occours to me that it needs to be lightweight for 2 reasons really. #1. Hauling capacity of the truck i...
A while back I purchased some whetstones from LV. Up till now I have been doing the scary sharp method with sandpaper. That works just fine but it can get pretty pricey over time and I finally realized I wasn’t saving any money not investing in some good sharpening stones. The thing is… just about every surface in my shop is almost always cluttered with project spew of some kind so setting these up has been put to the side since they arrived. I have determined that I nee...
Making the sail was an ideal time to overly complicate and over think the process… But I resisted my instinctive need to make things hard and just went with Shorty’s recommended measures and used two tape measures to define the shape of the sail. I just swung the ends of the tapes in their respective arcs until both ends met and voila a leg o mutton sail. Dead easy and fast. Shorty recommends duct taping along these lines and then cut along the tape. My first thought was to la...
The partner and step line up nicely. I had a bit of a surprise when I discovered the mast was a bit thicker further up and would not fit through the partner. A bit of work with the block plane and all was good. There is a bit of reinforcing yet for the mast but it looks pretty good. I have the brace pieces cut, they just need to be painted and then mounted. I bored out the holes for the pintle bar. I ran into a bit of an obstacle in that I had not really factored in the bul...
This the mast step. When I fabricated the main part it looked pretty good, then I dry fitted it and realized the partner’s hole was about 5 mm out of line. The small piece there is to shim the step out the correct? distance. These are the pieces for the rudder mount. The pieces will be laminated at the forward edge allowing the rudder to be sandwiched between the outside pieces. There are no real clear plans on Shorty’s site on how to build a rudder so I am just going...
Last night after flattening the bench I couldn’t wait any longer to get some holes drilled in the top. I have been kinda dreading this part because it is one of those permanent type things in a major component of the bench. Earlier I had mentioned that I didn’t have a 3/4” auger bit for my brace…. well that turned out to not be true lol. The problem is that I can’t math. Turns out I have a 12/16” bit and for those of you following along that simplifie...
Well no pictures this evening. I managed to get a little shop time in, worked on the leeboard mounts, and the step for the mast. Those are ready for gluing in. I temporarily fixed my ROS but the bottom popped out again so I guess it’s time to shop for a new sander. I still have the old B&D half sheet sander of my Dad’s which is just shy of 412 years old and it still works, why can’t a three or four year old sander that spent much of the time in a drawer keep working ...
I FINALLY found enough free time between work shifts to get the back 2 legs and side stretchers attached. Since I glued up the toolwell before installing the back legs I wasn’t going to be able to drawbore them into place so I decided to wedge them instead. So a couple relief holes and a bit of saw work later they were ready to go but first I needed to do the long stretcher. Again, drill and offset the tenon.. make some pegs and get all my ducks in order for this operation since ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1600 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1625 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries