I Finally got some time to work on the Bench today ! woo hoo ! I scraped and sanded the top and bevelled the bottom half of the seat, I did it all manually with a smoother planer, block planer, and a japanese saw. The supports for the Cross braces for the Beams turned out nice, I love to do it by hand, it is so much fun! and it looks really nice, pictures tomorrow. I am building the Cross beams right now and I am not to sure about the design yet, I like it but it’s just not complete to ...
here is the start of my “attempt” at carving a fiddle top. I am using basswood. i got some for 75 cents a board foot. thought i would see how it went with cheap wood before i used expensive wood. fiddle #2 will get the good stuff if this one turns out good. this will give me some practice on carving and if i mess it up it don’t matter. http://picasaweb.google.com/roydahlgren/FirstFiddle#
I am copying one of M. Pounders projects, his lizard cane. His work is amazing! I am just trying it so don’t laugh too hard as I try to carve and burn this lizard on a 5 foot staff. It is a limb from an orange tree that has aged about a year. it is carving very hard wood and it is very white. It burns OK but not a nice as basswood. My question to all of you is: How do I finish the staff? I want to stain it darker brown and leave the lizard natural or stain it Golden Oak. Has anyone ...
Did not get around to posting the last few days….been busy! here are the catch up pics. #1 of the 7 handles finished….... #2 and #3 finished…. #4 through #7 in process, should be done in the next 3 or 4 days, God willing!
Still working away on this, but I try to go slowly at times to make sure I see things that need to be changed. I sometimes rush through things and don’t always pick up on mistakes until after they are finished and sitting on a shelf. Some people recommend looking at your work in a mirror to help pick up on problem areas, but I often see things in photos of my work that I don’t always see when holding it in my hand. So I am trying to correct a few details. Someone may have mentione...
I’m starting to get close to completion. I got the base finished and made a few adjustments to the mechanism. I got the hat on the cowboy, which is an interesting little process. You basically take your beautifully carved little head and slice the top off with a bandsaw! A disc sander then helps you get it nice and flat to fit in a recess carved in the bottom of the brim, which is separate from the crown of the hat. You might be able to make out the buttons and end of the belt that ...
Hello all. I am in need. A need to fill the void. The void is an empty spot. The empty spot in an area of the shop I haven’t seen in years. There actually is a floor under all that “junk” as the bride would say. (I say golden treasures.) But, what I need now is spiritual help and a set of free plans for a drift boat or dory. I know I can build one, just need the plans. Have looked and downloaded several but cant find ones concerning a Montana style. Those guys craft some s...
Finnished the Plaque! Well it is finnally done. I kept getting side tracked with other things around the house. This is going to a dear freind of my wife and mine. He has been running the center for the blind in Yuma,AZ for the last 25 years. He is retireing on June 27th. This startd as an “Unknown Wood / Unknown Project” and turned into a dedication. I want to thank everyone who helped this design come into being. Thank You. The Angel is made up of the following woods...
I’m still working on the fit of the head to the body, but he is mostly finished. I’ve never carved a dog before, but he doesn’t look too bad. I’m still working on the mechanisms to move his head and tail. This is how he will be positioned with the old fellow. I will probably have the tail on the side of the man, to avoid accidently breaking it while turning the crank. I need to pick up some supplies for an idea I have for the legs/feet on the whole contrapti...
Okay, so if you follow this blog, you’ll know that last year I built a leg vice and attached it to the workbench I built over the summer. The chop on this vice was simply two pieces of 3/4” pine, about 6” wide, glued together and shaped (with some crude tools I had at the time and zero knowledge of what I was doing). Then I carved my initials and the year of it’s construction (2012) into it and made a nice little handle out of poplar. Well, it works. ThatR...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1484 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1508 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 240 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 203 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries