Version 1.2a At this point I decided to get more “radical” in my design approach. I removed two of the cross rails (found out through experience that I didn’t need them anyway). Then I took the corner poles out of the flanges and put a “sleeve” on the side of my table for the corner poles to slide into (see photo below). Electrical conduit clamps work great for attaching the sleeves. This design also allowed me to adjust the height of the router sled in...
Movin’ right along, here’s Version 1.2 of my router planer. Because I’d made the router sled larger in order to accommodate larger pieces, I now needed to design something bigger for the sled to ride on. That’s when I came up with the idea of using longer piping for the end poles and cross rails (instead of the 12” pipes and the plywood cross rails shown in my first design). The photo below shows my first attempt (my “beta” version) at this new des...
The next design I came up with for my router planer was based loosely on some of the designs some fellow woodworkers had posted right here on Lumberjocks. The biggest design change was that I eliminated the sled pictured in the first photo in my last blog entry and used angle iron glides instead. Now here was a design I really took a liking to right away. This one allowed me to plane much larger pieces without fear of slipping off the edges of the runners because the router moves withi...
I’ve cut and installed the corner and end blocks on the mold with just a dab of glue, so when I remove the mold, they release easily. These are what the ribs (sides) attach to. The blocks are made of willow because of its lightness and the added benefit that it is a fairly straight grained wood which makes cutting with the inside gouge an easy task. I then drew the points and top and bottom using the template. These are two different violins – reason for two templates. U...
Only about 1/4 of the way done. Showing some carving stages on how to carve “Green Man” This is really fun for me, just having some fun, carving something for myself. When I’m done I will hang him on top of my fire place at home. If I have the extra time I’m hoping to be done in about three weeks. Size 3 1/2” thick x 14” wide x 17 1/2” long. Made out of basswood.
Creating this project was fun, because it was a combined effort that Keith and I made together. I wanted a wine bottle holder for our kitchen, but after looking in stores and online I couldn’t find one that I really liked. So, thinking like a LJ I decided to design one myself, and asked Keith if it was something we could do as a weekend project together. This is my original pencil drawing showing the design I came up with: Next, I came up with a design for the carvings we would ...
The reason I started this blog was to show a project that sort of evolved over time – at least a year so far – and illustrates one of the ways I seem to gain enjoyment from messing about in the workshop. I see a lot of small box makers who seem to work this way finding new and unusual ways of creating something from what seem to be left over cutoffs and so on.Anyway I can now show you the finishing touches to this stage of my project – but it is still not finished.It may bec...
I decided that the cuttlefish is attacking a fish as the wood looks a bit like a fish tail shape after I did some band saw outlining so I worked on giving more form to that area.The end of the wood has some finger-joint routing that seems to look OK. The area below the fishtail looks like a good place to shape some coral type formation.The eye of the cuttlefish is formed using 2 sizes of forstner bit on the drill press.The area below the cuttlefish seems to suggest the head of a fish ̵...
I started by working on the body,tail and tentacles of the Cuttle Fish. The idea with relief carving is to create shadow patterns that make the objects appear more 3-D than they actually are. To be effective they have to be correctly lit – usually by unidirectional light from above and to one side. The final display situation for the carving needs to be kept in mind. Small changes in lighting will make a large difference in the final impact. I don’t want this carving to look to...
From time to time I had done a bit of practice carving , pyrography and edge finger jointing on some scrap pine so I wondered if I could work this up into something to fit the underwater theme of the band saw project. The idea of a cuttlefish and its prey began to take a vague shape in my imagination. So I penciled in some outlines and started carving. Not very promising yet but things should get better.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1695 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1720 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 287 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 204 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries