I quickly discovered I had way too much wood for this head, much too wide! So I spent a lot of time whittling it down to a better fit! I may have to shrink it a bit more, but I am still mainly trying to get the rough shapes. Better too much than not enough I suppose. I did add some difficulty to the carving by choosing to do the mane like I have. With a mane that just lays down on the neck, you can just round over and shape the neck, then carve your hair out of that. Since this sti...
Finished the simple details on the saddle and have the horn stuck in place temporarily. It may need to be cut down a bit more. I would normally do the stirrups, but you can’t see many saddle details when the rider is mounted. I used a stoning technique on the cowboy’s chaps to try and give the effect of angora or goat-skin chaps….may need to do it a bit heavier. “Stoning” is a process of using a dremel or other rotary tool with an abrasive wheel or cyl...
He’s starting to look like a horse now, with the muscle groups indicated. I spent quite a bit of time getting the spacing better between the legs and defining the groups of muscles around the legs. A technique I like is to carve the lines and then to sand them so that you get a flowing muscle look instead of something defined by a line cut into the surface. I like to use my veiners for this and then carve or sand the edges back up to the center. Here are a few pictures. When ...
I have spent several days working on the feet and legs and finally have the body ready for glue-up. As mentioned in the previous installment, the body is made of two separate pieces to make it easier to carve certain portions and to orient the grain for strength. It is definitely easier to carve and shape the interior portions of the legs and the legs are one of the more difficult elements to carve. They are somewhat delicate because of the thin-ness and you have to support them carefully...
We have the honor of creating these beautiful Methodist flames to be placed on the back wall, behind the sanctuary stage. Constructed of solid red oak hardwoods, the overall sizes of the flames are 3” thick by 48”wide and 168” long. The oak was glued together at different angles, to create a unique woodgrain appearance. Hand shaping and carved using a power grinder to create the flame motif. Stained with a red aniline dye and finished with a pre-catalyzed furniture fin...
If you’re a crab or a seagull on the Washington coast, there is one guy that has just become a part of the coastal scenery. His rugged figure just blends into the coastline. Blending in is helped by the fact that he’s usually lugging around a piece of drift wood that is commonplace on the inlet near Tokeland. His bent form under the weight of the wet wood perfectly mimics the shape of the gnarled piece he carries. (Read the rest of the artical at http://roguefineliving.com/)
I found some images for mechanical horses and blowing one up to full 8×10 size appears to be proportioned correctly for my carving. I am using Lynn Doughty’s carving technique for horses. Basically the horse is made of several separate pieces of wood so that the grain can be properly oriented to strengthen delicate areas. And it also makes certain areas easier to carve! The grain in this piece is running from front to back because the legs are extended rather than being in a s...
I have had an interest in automata (A self-operating machine or mechanism) since making a limberjack machine a few years ago. I have wanted to create a machine that incorporated caricatures that I carved and that would be fun to look at, an animated toy of sorts. A well-known carver I admire, Lynn Doughty, suggests that you should strive to make your work stand out, to attract attention, and draw people in. So, I felt a carving that moved would be something different, something that makes yo...
Ok, I’ve been busy with life and could only get to the violin as weather permitted, that is until I insulated the garage and installed an IR heat lamp which takes the chill off the air. This is the maple back. I’ve carved guides using templates I made out of aluminum. After aligning the guides to the plate surface it’s a simple matter of carving away the excess and blending. There are 6 templates. 1 through 5 are horizontal left to right with the last spanning the length....
I’ve had an old heavy barn beam, for some time now, and have wanted to fabricate a couple ornamental carved brackets to hold it up. Here is the start of the first bracket. It is modeled after an Atlantes which is an architectural adornment.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 216 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries