Ok, so a few weeks ago I had to prune a limb off one of our flowering cherry trees, rather than throw it away, I decided to put the thicker parts to use: spoons. I have an old hatchet I picked up on Ebay, a lock-blade knife I found in a ditch, and a spoon knife I saw at Rocklers, so I went to work. I roughed out the spoons in the green wood. This went pretty well. I spent a lot of time carving out the bowls of the spoons. Learning techniques with the spoon knife was a matter or ...
Time for some catch up and an update. Most of you who follow the workbench thread on the forum have already seen most of this but I feel compelled to keep this blog alive and I really need to resist the urge to spam the forum with progress updates and keep them here lol (sorry about that guys!). So we left off with the legs being glued up so naturally the next step was to square them up and make them more “leg” like. I had to get creative with the clamping to make this happen...
A of this year i have been carving 30 years , its hard to belive but i done the math. At times i think ive already done some of my best work , But i will keep trying to improve
i have a new blog post about my dining chair project, check it out on my website. http://joshhallfurniture.weebly.com/1/post/2013/06/opus-magnum-dining-chair-project-is-finished.html
For the face of this lion my goals are to make him more majestic by carving it closer to the traditional lion’s face verses the last three I made five years ago for the “Griffin End Table.” The lion faces for that end table had more of an Egyptian style to the face. By just making a few small adjustments can really make a big difference in the way the face can change. I altered the size of the eyes and located them outward approximately ¼-in. The main distinction is making the snout larger...
Well I have a fully functioning Layout Compass now :D. All that is left is to do the shaping of the legs and some purtification of them. I am still working out the details of the purtification but in the end they should be pretty purty lol. All the pieces laid out with epoxy curing on the pins.. So today was filled with frustration and epoxy and a lot of brass dust. It started with cleaning up the mortise that the arc goes through and embedding the head of a copper rivet into the...
I’m pretty excited right now. I just finished attaching the legs to the hinge and so far nothing has fallen apart! From what I can tell the hardest part is behind me and now it is just a matter of shaping and fitting the adjuster arc to the legs. I also got the fine tuning nut built up and tapped. I still need to make an adjusting screw for the arc but that won’t take very long. Today at the OB appointment we were told that we will be induced on the 20th so only a week ...
As mentioned in my Workbench Blog I was planning to replace the gents style handle on my 8” Crown Gents Dovetail Saw with a more suitable one. This will be more of a photo essay than anything but lets just say most the pics are of take 2 of this event lol. I am pretty happy with myself for getting the saw kerf cut free hand with nothing more than a scribe line and a HF flush cut saw :-) Sadly I was so “in the moment” that I forgot to take pics of the procedure. I hope ...
For those so inclined, an instructional video for three simple handcrafted projects to fill an empty weekend. So turn down the sound and relax watching these craftsmen at their best. Enjoy …...... http://youtu.be/rJ1TKkkF1ps
I completed as much carving on the handle as I could and then epoxied it to the shaft. The shaft is also basswood and i used a 5/16th threaded rod about 6 inches long epoxied in place. I decided how I wanted the tail wrapped around, outlined it with a v gouge and then rounded it over and relieved the background. I carved down the back of the lizard where the tail joins the shaft to get a smooth transition. The customer doesn’t want this guy painted, but the scale patterns I will bur...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1263 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 73 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 368 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 255 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 148 entries