There are 8 fluted columns to this bedroom set. The columns were turned on our “Legacy” Ornamental Milling Machine, by one of our shop craftsman, Dennis Nygard. I’m carving the 64 acanthus leaf’s by hand with “Pfeil” carving knifes and a small brass mallet. It’s easer to cut the solid cherry by lightly taping with a small mallet. Each leaf takes about 3 hours per leaf. Plus set up time and drawing time, which takes about 2 hours. So, each spindl...
Time to start with some curves – I’ve created a pattern that’s based on an article that Wayne Barton published about designing your own leaf patterns. I did a simple leaf, and just reflected it around the boundary. I put in a tulip pattern in the center, but feel free to fill the center with a design of your own.
I don’t know, it just looked like an old style TV test pattern.
Another basic pattern, builds on the simple triangle—but it’s set up to cut across grains at different angles.
I added a simple border around this design, the sides are cut from the inside first, then the outside.
Wormy soft maple rocker ( Hal Taylor version ) #6: Stacks to rockes, extra width to back braces, jigs
Empty clamp rack…... hmmm what could that mean, where did they go? Here they are, adding the ” stacks ” to my rockers, and adding a little thickness to the bottom of the back braces While i’m showing the rocker Jig, I might as well show the back brace jig, both are 8, 3/4’’ pieces of mdf, I think I went a little over killbut hey if i’m building chairs for the next 30 yrs it was worth it! Arms glued next step is shaping top...
I based this on the form used in a cross pattern from myChipCarving.com
Perhaps a good design for coasters that will hold those beer bottles! Keeping the knife in a near vertical position where the stems cross over will help to keep tear out to a minimum.
Another basic coaster pattern. I use the straight lines to practice my “pull” cuts. The star bursts are done with a stab knife.
Just a pattern I’ve been playing with. Pretty basic approach to a rosette. The outer dimension is 3 1/2” square. The pattern starts with approximately a 10mm border. Enjoy.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1585 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1610 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries