After not getting to work at all Saturday in the shop because of family commitments, I got to work on my project most of the afternoon today. I wasn’t feeling to spunky after not getting back home till almost midnight last night. That was two hours after my normal bedtime. I trudged along and manged to complete the project and declared Victory at about 7:30 pm. I added an additional modification at the last moment for three more attachment storage holes and then decided to use a tub...
Made good progress so far today, made the top and bottom shelves. Drilled the 2-1/2” holes in the top shelf and the 3” cut out for the vac hose. On the bottom shelf, drilled the 1” holes for the dowel rods and cut the 3” slot for the vac hose. Assembled the upright, decided to use my Kreg pockethole jig to assemble the upright and to fasten it to the base. Still have to make the hinged cover that goes over the top of the Dust Deputy. This cover also has a handle c...
Got the base and sub-base cut out yesterday. Had to revise the drawing several times to fit my shop-vac from the original design. Today was mostly a bust on working on the cart. Friend came by and we made a trip over to Mike’s Discount Store to see if anything new had came in. Mike’s is a returns/close out store that stocks about anything you can think of. Most is damaged or NOS, but you never know what your going to find.After lunch got back in the shop for about an hour and...
Florence, AL – Went yesterday and purchased a sheet of 3/4 plywood to begin the cart project. Got it home last evening and started breaking it down to size on the cut table. Had to stop several times and revise the Sketchup drawing since I had originally drew the project based on dimensions from a set of plans from Woodsmithplans. My shopvac is significantly larger than the one used in the original design of the cart. Today will finish cutting the components to size and making the ...
I rarely have a large amount of sheet goods, and when I do it tends to sit around for a limited time. Given that I really don’t want to waste space in my very small shop, so I’ve decided that my wood storage cart should have slide-out base. This is a little difficult to describe clearly so, here’s the picture of the result both closed: and opened: This allows me to squeeze this down to just under 24” with only a couple of sheets stored. It can be pulled out an ex...
When designing roll carts and mobile bases, some thought needs to go into the selection of your casters. Choose a caster that is suited for your needs, and you’re probably going to have to spend a fair bit of money on them. If you don’t—if you try to go the cheap route on your casters—then you will probably end up with headaches and a mouth full of foul language as you attempt the move your cart. One of the great opportunities for me is I get to build things for S...
I, like so many other neophyte woodworkers have too much stuff and not enough space. I only bought what I needed and only built what really needed to be made. So now here I am, 12’x18’ garage, detached, unheated, one little 60 watt bulb (10’ up on the ceiling), one plug in the ceiling (for the garage door opener). Then I got the table saw. Then my folks moved into a little retirement house. Between the inherited tools and the new prevalence of cut-offs I can’t tur...
So now I had the saw and the jointer set up. I went to a local lumberyard (Woodstock Lumber) and bought 14 16-foot 2×12s and 3 sheets of baltic birch plywood. The 2×12s I stickered and left in the middle of the garage. The plywood was for building three rolling carts, patterned after the ones in Fine Woodworking #190. My intent was to build one cart the exact same height as my saw and use it as an outfeed table. Then build another to hold the planer such that the outfeed for ...
I was able to figure out why the piece of plywood was not square to the other piece of the A-frame. It turned out that one of the angled wedges at the bottom was a little long and needed to be trimmed. The plywood was already in place and I didn’t feel like unclamping and lifting it off. I used my dozuki and trimmed a thin line between the wedge and ply and after fishing the sliver out from underneath I was able to pound the sheet down into place. I used a level and a framing square to ...
Ok, despite this morning’s drama, I manned up (just kidding, I felt better, if I still felt like that nothing would have been accomplished today) and got something done. At this point some thoughts and opinions on squaring up the A frame and how would I go about measuring the angle to make sure its true 5 degrees from centerline on either side? What I was able to do today was rather surprising. I almost finished, but didn’t know how exactly to get things lined up, so I clamp...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1184 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1206 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 299 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 201 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- shipwright - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries