Earlier in this series I mentioned a set of stair rails I was supposed to be building for one Mrs Customer, a couple of towns away from my town of Laporte. I got distracted by any number of things and just got back to them this week. The previous stair rails were built to match the existing porch rails. They had deteriorated sufficiently that they had become a hazard and Mrs Customer wanted them replaced in the same style, as her porch rails are in good shape. There were a couple ...
Handles attached. Fitting battens for the lid. The lid with battens attached with drywall screws. The lid has been glued and screwed and is resting on the end caps. This one is all done except for the diagonal batten. Diagonal batten fitting well. Top all finished!
Got some more work done on my second box. Bottom piece glued-up and trimmed and attached with #8 X 2” drywall screws. Inside the box with bottom attached.
Finished cutting the mortises and everything fit pretty well. Just had to run the rasp over a couple of the joints to level everything first. Then got the sides all glued up. Diagonal measurements are the same – square overall. This one is coming out better than the first one (so far). Just more pictures of each of the square mortise/tenons.
Marking out the mortises – shallow chisel cuts on outside edges and nail punch the center so forstner bit will center correctly. 3/4” Forstner bit works well. Chopping the corners out with a 3/4” chisel. Works well. Close-up of one mortise at the beginning cuts. Initial fit for the first set of mortises. Pictures of the mortise/tenon fit. Much better (less gaps) than the first box I made recently. Inside corner. Outside corner. One...
First off, I should have used epoxy. Secondly, my experiment with coloring yellow glue went awry. Well, somewhat anyway. I found a way to make a nice dark brown color (could be used successfully on some dark walnut). I just got into the cupboard and found some cheap food coloring like they sell to color easter eggs. I added a bunch of red first, and that came out sort of magenta looking, so I added a little bit of each of the other colors: yellow, green, blue. Mixed it with regular Elmer̵...
The Cosmati wood inlay banding is glued up in part 2 of this YouTube woodworking video. Watch how the wood segments are fit together to form the wood inlay banding log. See how the decorative pattern of the Cosmati design comes to life in this episode. You will see the woodworking method for gluing and clamping as demonstrated by the woodworker. Cauls with applied packing tape are used to distribute even clamping pressure to all glued segments. The clear packing tape protects the cauls ...
Hello, My name is Jeremy (firm cyber hand shake). This is my first blog entry for my account here at LumberJocks. Short intro. Please excuse my spelling. Spelling has been a struggle for me my whole life.A bit about my self. I was born in Marburg Germany, but have lived the larger part of my life on the west coast of the USA. I love anything I can do with my hands. Pottery, glass work, automotive work, carpentry, cooking, brewing beer… you get the idea. I love to learn and share. I a...
I hope this particular blog may reach a beginning woodworker no matter what age…..we can always learn something more as we go through life. I really find that to spread the word and share some of the found history of handtools and their various crafts they help perform is a truly worthwhile campaign. I also am thrilled to see many machine woodworkers becoming more interested in the artform of handwork, it’s wonderful to share each skill electric and unplugged and learn from one...
Second Year Carpentry was pretty great. We are in the last 2 months of schooling then we have 5 weeks of work placement, then we graduate! First things we got working on, the first day! Was framing up sheds. What we did with these taught skills like framing, roofing (last year we just used trusses, this year we actually framed the roof) vinyl siding, asphalt shingling, wood siding, sidewall shingling (shakes) and gable, hip and intersecting roofing. The sheds we build are sold for 1000$ or...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries