Have you ever thought about why some saw makers add negative rake to the teeth of their rip saws? I have, but when I was drawing a 12 TPI template in Sketchup to re-tooth my Disston No.5 carcass saw, I realized that adding a touch of rake actually increases the volume of space between the teeth. If you look at a section through a saw file, you’ll see that you have an equilateral triangle (ignoring the rounded corners that define the gullets) and we know that the three angles of a triangle ...
Have you missed me? Sorry for leaving you hanging for so long, but work was a bit manic leading up to Christmas. Now where was I? Oh yeah, I was just about to sharpen the last of my crosscut backsaws, a 12” carcase saw made by W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner. I restored this saw in part 1 of this blog series. It had a number of issues and honestly, it still has a few of them. 1) The plate was heavily pitted in places.2) The plate had a wave in it. 3) The spine was bent.4) ...
I drink a lot of tea. And I don’t like the bagged stuff, I like fresh tea, carefully brewed. Call me anal. Or picky, or what have you. So I buy a lot of tea from Upton Tea I buy it in these small tins. Now I’ve got a stack of these just sitting on the counter, so I figured something a little more organized…. I picked up the plans for the Apothecary Cabinet from plansnow, and downloaded the PDF. These seem pretty good, and I like the apothecary cabinet design, but t...
Yesterday I was able to cut the tails on the carcass side parts. I used the bandsaw to cut the tails because the blade cuts straight and is narrow, although I did get some rough cut surface this time because I have a kink in the blade. I’m thinking in the future to use the Table saw with the blade tilted at ~10 degrees and the part passed vertically much like cutting box joints, but that will have to wait for future projects as for the time being -these tails are cut already. Once th...
DJ wants “overflow” storage for her bathroom stuff and towels. And as y’all know … what DJ (or whoever YOUR equivalent is) wants … DJ gets. Time to buy some plans !! No. Wait. Not THIS time. THIS time, I’m going to actually design AND build something. [Lord, help us all….] Flipped through a few of the volumes from my awesome collection of used woodworking books. Special shout out to “Illustrated Cabinetmaking,” by...
So here it is, the final glue up. I over clamped to be safe, not in the sense of clamping pressure but as far as where I was clamping. This glue up entailed gluing all 4 sets of tails and pins with the mitered front (all the same piece) of the carcass as well as gluing in the center of the floating panel. By glueing the center of the panel I control the movement of expansion and contraction to both edges, ensuring the gaps always stay very close to the same, also keeping them as smal...
There are many parts of this project I do not want to discuss, mostly because they all involve mistakes. With this project I unfortunately made many stupid errors regarding dimensions and process of operations, but in ways that are rudimentary to woodworking. I tried to recover and hide these though thinking about the saying that being a good woodworker is not about making no mistakes, its about how well you can fix the mistakes you make. One of these mistakes came from a lack of room in...
With a design in mind I bought a couple sheets of 4×8 Birch Plywood and got to work. I don’t have pictures of this part of the process, but the first thing I did was to lay out each piece of the carcass on a 4×8 rectangle in Sketchup so I could get check what’d fit and make sure my grain was all pointing in the right direction (at that point I was thinking I might stain the cabinet). I transferred those measurements to the actual plywood sheets. When I marked things...
Started last night, I remembered that I forgot (go figure) the glue in the garage last time I used it (in the summer) so I went to bring it into the house so that it can defrost overnight as I planned on using it today. I got out of the house today and it felt so nice… kinda warm… 32 degrees (F, 0 degree C) didn’t even need gloves. amazing what a couple of weeks in 12F can do to you. I was planning to have most of the long weekend dedicated for this project, but as thi...
With my new rolling lathe stand rolling and standing well, it was time for some drawers. This was also a great opportunity to start using up some of that huge pile of free, scrap alder I got 6 months ago. I hadn’t used any prior to this, and while the smell of the lumber and dust when I picked it up brought me back to my childhood – they made me vividly recall toys and painting easels from my kindergarten – cutting it fresh smelled sweet, and reminded me a lot of something l...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries