So for the box itself, this is the basic sketchup model for what I’m going for. I am trying to model this after one of “RogerBean’s” projects, hi maple burl box. However I am adding a drawer into it so it will differentiate a little bit from his process. The hardest part will be the two meet ups of two curves that occurs on the front of the box. After some thinking, I came up with some basic dimensions and my thought process for how I was going to be able to add in...
A while back I bought this saw either from ebay or an auction. Can’t really remember. Anyway, it was in kinda rough shape with a lot of rust. You can almost tell that it says “Spear & Jackson Sheffield” on the spine. This saw has brass split nuts. and a beech handle. I haven’t had the pleasure of unscrewing split nuts until now, so I had to improvise a split nut driver from a 1/2” spade bit. With the saw all apart, it was time to...
Have you missed me? Sorry for leaving you hanging for so long, but work was a bit manic leading up to Christmas. Now where was I? Oh yeah, I was just about to sharpen the last of my crosscut backsaws, a 12” carcase saw made by W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner. I restored this saw in part 1 of this blog series. It had a number of issues and honestly, it still has a few of them. 1) The plate was heavily pitted in places.2) The plate had a wave in it. 3) The spine was bent.4) ...
Have you ever thought about why some saw makers add negative rake to the teeth of their rip saws? I have, but when I was drawing a 12 TPI template in Sketchup to re-tooth my Disston No.5 carcass saw, I realized that adding a touch of rake actually increases the volume of space between the teeth. If you look at a section through a saw file, you’ll see that you have an equilateral triangle (ignoring the rounded corners that define the gullets) and we know that the three angles of a triangle ...
DJ wants “overflow” storage for her bathroom stuff and towels. And as y’all know … what DJ (or whoever YOUR equivalent is) wants … DJ gets. Time to buy some plans !! No. Wait. Not THIS time. THIS time, I’m going to actually design AND build something. [Lord, help us all….] Flipped through a few of the volumes from my awesome collection of used woodworking books. Special shout out to “Illustrated Cabinetmaking,” by...
Bedroom and bathroom done. I’ll start the living room/kitchen remodel in the spring. What to do in the meantime? Make a bed of course.In my mind… which is where these things always are, the bed will be maple with two large drawers on one side. The head ends will have 3 small cubbies on each side as it is impractical for us to have bedside tables because one side is up against the wall and the other side edges a window. We basically need someplace to put our glasses and watches at ...
So here it is, the final glue up. I over clamped to be safe, not in the sense of clamping pressure but as far as where I was clamping. This glue up entailed gluing all 4 sets of tails and pins with the mitered front (all the same piece) of the carcass as well as gluing in the center of the floating panel. By glueing the center of the panel I control the movement of expansion and contraction to both edges, ensuring the gaps always stay very close to the same, also keeping them as smal...
There are many parts of this project I do not want to discuss, mostly because they all involve mistakes. With this project I unfortunately made many stupid errors regarding dimensions and process of operations, but in ways that are rudimentary to woodworking. I tried to recover and hide these though thinking about the saying that being a good woodworker is not about making no mistakes, its about how well you can fix the mistakes you make. One of these mistakes came from a lack of room in...
With a design in mind I bought a couple sheets of 4×8 Birch Plywood and got to work. I don’t have pictures of this part of the process, but the first thing I did was to lay out each piece of the carcass on a 4×8 rectangle in Sketchup so I could get check what’d fit and make sure my grain was all pointing in the right direction (at that point I was thinking I might stain the cabinet). I transferred those measurements to the actual plywood sheets. When I marked things...
Had another quick chance for some shop time and used that to glue together the fitted carcass. I didn’t want to deal with the glueup the day before (after fitting the dividers) as I knew I would need a peace of mind and ample time to do the glueup properly and not rush through it. And so, I cleared the workbench from all the ‘things’ that always seem to end up on it (how is that always happening?!?) to have use of it’s full length (barely enough) and laid down the c...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1794 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1819 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries