A while back I bought this saw either from ebay or an auction. Can’t really remember. Anyway, it was in kinda rough shape with a lot of rust. You can almost tell that it says “Spear & Jackson Sheffield” on the spine. This saw has brass split nuts. and a beech handle. I haven’t had the pleasure of unscrewing split nuts until now, so I had to improvise a split nut driver from a 1/2” spade bit. With the saw all apart, it was time to...
Have you missed me? Sorry for leaving you hanging for so long, but work was a bit manic leading up to Christmas. Now where was I? Oh yeah, I was just about to sharpen the last of my crosscut backsaws, a 12” carcase saw made by W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner. I restored this saw in part 1 of this blog series. It had a number of issues and honestly, it still has a few of them. 1) The plate was heavily pitted in places.2) The plate had a wave in it. 3) The spine was bent.4) ...
Have you ever thought about why some saw makers add negative rake to the teeth of their rip saws? I have, but when I was drawing a 12 TPI template in Sketchup to re-tooth my Disston No.5 carcass saw, I realized that adding a touch of rake actually increases the volume of space between the teeth. If you look at a section through a saw file, you’ll see that you have an equilateral triangle (ignoring the rounded corners that define the gullets) and we know that the three angles of a triangle ...
Oh, yeah, it’s time to stop cutting bait and ‘fish’ for a next-level assembly with this project. In other words, this carcase has been apart and together a bunch of times for marking, cutting, and fitting rabbets and dados. All of those shelves and partitions are at the ready; there’s nothing more do do with the carcase apart that can’t just as well be done while it’s together. In the meantime, I have T&G back-cabinet material as well as face framing th...
This is a re-edit of the video that got me started doing videos. Unfortunately I knew very little about shooting and editing video at the time. In fact, I shot the video with a web cam, so the video quality is poor in parts. The re-edit gives it a nice face lift, but perhaps in the future, when I run low on topics, I can re-shoot the video. (Full steam ahead on Router Inlay!) Here is the link: Working with Melamine
I’m still hunting for space to end the clutter in my 1-car garage shop. I found some when I moved part of the PVC ductwork from my dust collector a bit so I could open the overhead garage door again. In that space, between the dust collector (and its separator can), hoses and dust collection accessories, and the path traveled by the opening garage door was a location about 2’ wide by 32” high – small cabinet size! Note the > marks on the wall, tracings of the do...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 215 entries
- stefang - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 209 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries