I am building a canoe for my sister’s boyfriend. He wants a sixteen footer. I am going with the Wabnaki model from Gil Gilpatrick’s book. I’ve never done a blog before and am not real good with computers, but I will do my best. I’m going to start off with just a few things and if I see there is interest in this blog I will continue until it is done. So if anyone out there is interested just post and let me know and I will continue. So, first pic. is the white cedar I b...
3 hours. 2 sheets of cheap CDX 3/8” plywood, 10 1×2s, 2 2×2s, a sheet of plastic, 2 tubes of caulk, a bunch of deck screws, a few nails, some rope, some ductape, a few other details. Hand tools only, except for battery powered drill/drivers. And then you race. An amazing day out at the end of April in Bodega Bay here in Sonoma County in Northern California, I highly recommend coming out for it, either as a contestant (and this two-year winner is thinking about ways to appro...
So, here we go.This will be the final chapter to this series.When we left off the paddle blade and shaft were somewhere between roughed and semi finished.The next step is a little slower. At least for me it is.The handgrip.Excuse the poor photography, but here is what were starting with for the handgrip. You get the idea. We’re starting with just a roughsawn blank.I think if I had been a little slower and used just a little more care at the bandsaw stage, then I wouldn’t have s...
I have the stripping done. So, I thought I’d share some pics. The pics get better. I promise. I had a difficult time making the transition from vertical to horizontal across the stem. It felt to me like the stem form was getting in the way. When I referred back to Mr. Gilpatrick’s book He stated that this may happen and if so do some trimming. There we go! The transition was still a bit of a bear. Three hands and plenty of screws required...
With incouragement from other Lumberjocks I decided to blog on the progress of my canoe project. As you will see I have built the strongback, mounted the forms, and pretty much started stripping with pine. These pics and vids were done with my ipod so they’re not the best. Future pics will be done with my wifes Canon. I also want to include a video I posted on youtube about a week before posting my project on L.J. http://youtu.be/VglA5C-YP4w
Hopefully I have finally figured this blog thing out ?? Why can I build computers but have so so much trouble with software ARGH!! ... peanutz!! This I hope will be an attemp at my newest part time hobby In the hopes of making a less undesired living pad a nice one to live in :) Tools Tools and yes more ToolsMy best friend’s In Life were my Father and Grandfather who both got into woodworking more so graddad James. I only wish now knowing I want to know now I wish I would have...
With all of the assembly in place we were down to getting the final finish on it. Just as it is all looking like it’s “this” close to being done, we get to revisit our friend the random orbit sander! I had thought that sanding the hull was a lot of work…but sanding the epoxy was an entirely different experience. Not only is the epoxy that much harder, but you can’t go too hard at it or you’ll get through the epoxy to the fiberglass. Once you hit fiber...
With the fiberglassing complete, we finally get to add some of the detail work. First up, we have to install the inwales. In order to allow water to pour out of the canoe easily, you need to install the inwales with a space between them and the hull. The spacers are called scuppers. I love nautical terminology….you call that a what??? I wanted a contrast, but not so much that it took away from the cedar. I found that a strip of mahogany that I had kicking around would be just ...
One thing I forgot to mention was what we did to seal up any holes/gaps in the hull before we did the fiberglassing. Even though we soaked a lot of epoxy into the fiberglass, and it will fill in most of the gaps, we did a bit of proactive work first. We mixed up some epoxy with some of the cedar sawdust (of which we had plenty) and made a woodfiller which we rubbed into any gaps or holes (yes, the staples holes got filled). For the most part this ended up looking pretty seamless once it wa...
I’ve been negligent in wrapping this up….but here’s the next stage, finishing up the hull itself. I out last episode, we had finished up the one side and now we’ll close it all up. Before we close up the other side, we’ve got to trim down the first side to get a nice clean line to work with. Nothing too scientific here, for the most part we eye-balled the parts around the stems and laid a strip down the keel-line to mark off the center. Getting the keel-l...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries