Had to narrate this one. In this video I cover the final cutting and assembly of the wastebasket cabinet. I used pocket holes because they are easy and sturdy enough for this application. To further strengthen the cabinet, I added a back to keep it from racking. I struggled a bit with the part that hods the trash can, and have since changed the design. Plans are located here:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwBb81zPeVCXMFdibTFpRHdySGsThanks for watching! View on YouTube Instagram: h...
I ended up with a lot of footage, so I am going to split the video up as needed to the time manageable. In this video, I start my new project which is a tilt-out wastebasket cabinet. As usual, I start out with rough lumber, so much of this first video is about preparing the stock. Need to Joint a board that is wider than your jointer? I cover that in this video as well. Stay tuned to see how it all turns out! View on YouTube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thomaslightleFaceb...
I am hoping to REALLY start my hand tool cabinet as my next project. Before I do, I have work to be done. First up, refurbishing tools that will be used to make the tool cabinet. I’ll try to use the hand tools as a primary. Saying that, hand saws will be used. Here is my current collection I have acquired: ———————-The 3 Veritas saws (dovetail, tenons) are good to go. The Stanley, Disston, and Japanese saws need help.Lots of rust on the ...
Today I piddly farted around and put the catches into the door frames. They are friction catches and needed to be mortised in. All turned out well there. They hold the doors shut really well and look nice. I had to take a break from the carving as it was killing my shoulders, not used to that hard work :) So I decided to get French..No! Not like that you sicko!French cleats. I milled up some slats to inset into the door frames with a lip similar to the back of the cabinet...
Today was a good day! I started out the day by taking the advise many of you had and added a third leaf inlay to the left door face. I then spent the rest of the day carving the door frames where they met the panels to facilitate gluing them up. This way I wouldn’t have to worry about possibly nicking the panels when I carve the doors the rest of the way. I got my hardware in the mail for the workbench!! Very excited to get it especially when I am so close to being done with the cabi...
So like I said yesterday, I goofed up and made my panel openings larger than my panel. I looked back through the stock I had left over and it was too thin to use so I needed to rely on off-cuts to patch my mistakes. Blue tape to the rescue. I cut out the over-sized shapes that would go into the door panel and used scraps to fill in the empty spots. I traced the outline of the openings onto the curly maple panel and then used calipers to oversize it and sribe a ne...
Hi everyone, Hope all is well in woodworkingland. Today was a very slow one, not to mention interrupted at every turn, but I did still manage to get something done. I always laugh about how quickly a case or cabinet goes together and how easy they seem after making chairs and I ask myself “Why don’t I just make cabinets?” Well I am in the thick of making cabinets and hit a brick wall of sorts with the tills that will hold the tools in place. I figured out my cleat system we...
la grande construction, Oo La La!Today was very French. French cleat that is. I set the cabinet to the wall using french cleats and made a set for the inside of the cabinet. There will probably be some that hang down from the shelf below, but the cleats should take care of most tools for the back wall. A series of custom hangars will be made to facilitate hanging tools. This way as things change I can rearrange the cabinet. I experimented by making a flat plate to hang someth...
Another episode in the saga that is the Great Big Build. Today the glue hit the fan! The tool cabinet was glued up today and I only cussed once, not bad for a glue up from hell. Sorry, a really crazy glue up ;) The rest of the day was spent milling up wood for the door panels and sides. I have been stockpiling wood for over two years for this build. Every time I recieved a comission I would get extra wood and set it aside. The piece I had for the maple p...
The Big BuildToday was one of those days where you go two steps forward one and a half steps back, step to the side and scratch your chin and well, yeah it was like that. I managed to get all the compartmental-ism done on the cabinet and it is ready to glue together. This morning I cut up a piece of ply to roughly the size the door will be and loaded them up with the tools I would like there to see what wouldn’t fit. What was left over would have to go somewhere else. I took ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1726 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1751 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 205 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries