LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'butterfly'

  • Advertise with us
View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #7: The Right Color

09-24-2017 06:17 PM by Ron Aylor | 4 comments »

The Right Color –  Wanting to capture the color of the altar table in the Harvard Chapel of Southwark Cathedral, London, I decided (after a bit of trial and error)  on a concoction of 4 ounces of General Finishes Medium Brown Dye/Stain (straight out of the can)  diluted with 1-1/2 ounces of water.   I covered the cocobolo butterflies with tape and slathered on a quick coat, letting it sit for about ten minutes before soaking up the residue with a paper towel. I let this dry for about 30...

Read this entry »


View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #6: Gadrooning

09-07-2017 11:15 PM by Ron Aylor | 8 comments »

Gadrooning –  For the gadrooning, I decided on a barley-ribbon twist  pattern. Given that the kneeling platform is just slightly wider than it is deep, mitering the gadrooned trim pieces proved difficult at best.   So, I decided to create corner blocks to match each corner of the platform … that way the trim pieces could simply butt up to the corners.  With the corner blocks fitted to their respective corners … I alleviated the need for perfect squareness. Is that cheating...

Read this entry »


View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #5: Butterflies & Trim

09-03-2017 07:46 PM by Ron Aylor | 7 comments »

Butterflies & Trim –  Once the secret drawer was fitted and working properly, I glued up three walnut boards to form the top of the kneeling platform. Once the glue dried and the top was squared, I attached it to the frame with seven 3/4” x 3/4” glue blocks.  Once that  glue dried I decided to add butterflies to re-enforce the rub joint.  I used 3/16” thick cocobolo for the three 1” x 3” butterflies.                 Next up I planed and card scraped a walnut board for th...

Read this entry »


View Chris Mobley's profile

Ribbon Butterfly for Blood Cancer

03-22-2013 01:49 PM by Chris Mobley | 0 comments »

My newest project is of a ribbon butterfly for blood cancer research. I was contacted the other day by a wonderful lady named Jeanne who let me know that she was working with an organization called Team in Training that raises money for cancer research. She contacted me to ask if I would be willing to donate a piece to help raise funds for this cause. I was very honored that I was asked and I am excited that I could do something to help. I went online and looked into this great organization a...

Read this entry »


View doorslammer's profile

My weekend project

10-17-2009 03:13 AM by doorslammer | 7 comments »

This is my chosen project for this weekend. It’s an antique dresser my grandfather bought for my sister when she was born. It’s been sitting in my basement for the last couple of years and I keep looking at it thinking I should do something with it. My plan is to do a “soft” restoration. Basically I plan on giving it a good sanding, re-staining, and finishing. The major challenge is the top. I think there was a leaky aquarium on it at some point which split the t...

Read this entry »


View onehitwonder's profile

Work in progress

04-18-2009 04:05 AM by onehitwonder | 11 comments »

I began working on this in high school, but had to rush to finish in spring of senior year. I started with a Nakashima design for ideas then ran with my own vision (with a little guidance from my teacher). The entire piece was crafted by hand (with a little cheating here and there). As soon as I can gain access to a wood shop, I will do some touch-up work and finish polishing it. I have come a long way, but it is far from complete. Here is what I have so far… created in just over 2 semester...

Read this entry »


View gizmodyne's profile

Cabinet Progress #17: Hiding the disaster

12-14-2008 08:38 AM by gizmodyne | 10 comments »

I finally got around to dealing with this mess. (I just noticed that I posted the last post for this project 385 days ago!)Kristin is patient, but she has been asking me to stain and install the doors. I had some fitting to do, along with a week or so of staining/ finishing before install time. (not to mention dropping/breaking/rebuilding/ one door).Installing the Z-braces on the inside of the doors. First to install a door stop for the doors to close against. If I could do it all over I woul...

Read this entry »


View frank's profile

"Chigiritsugi used in Wood Joinery" --by RusticWoodArt

06-14-2007 02:37 PM by frank | 8 comments »

Chigiritsugi used in Wood Joinery ....’chigiritsugi’ is the eastern Japanese name, while here in the west we prefer; ‘spline’, ‘flying dutchman’ and ‘butterfly’ joint….and then also I may have missed or forgotten a name. While starting out here I will just insert an observation that I have used and noted over time in the study of western and eastern thought in woodworking and ‘wood joinery’. Understanding wood goes a ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com