Hello again all, I’m almost done with the bunk beds, At this point they are two twin beds. Here is the stain I used which worked out pretty well. I used Dark Walnut Transtint dye mixed with DNA. I used DNA instead of water so I wouldn’t have to raise the grain first. However water may have worked better because it doesn’t dry as fast giving the stain more time to soak in. No real issues though I think it worked out. The varnish used was MinWax satin poly in the round can thinned ...
Hello again folks, the next step was to plow some groves in the stretchers and posts of the head board. The old Stanley #45 was the weapon of choice for this stage of the project which is a lot of fun to use. Here I am with the tool in action! In my head I look much cooler doing this. The first challenge I had to overcome was the lack of a plywood sized cutter. As you are all aware ¾” plywood is slightly undersized so I had to use the next size down and then pair away the rest of the w...
Ok, here are a couple of more evenings of progress behind me. I need to cut 16 tenons total to fit the head board and foot boards on the two beds. This part of the project is going a little slower than the earlier parts. But I’m having fun on this part so its all good. I first scribed a line all the way around the shoulder with a knife, then cut the v groove to guide my saw. Sawed the shoulder, with my dovetail saw. I tried Paul Sellers advise here and used this saw even though it is a...
Wow I got a lot done yesterday. My wife and I also painted are bedroom in between woodworking sesions. She did the lower part of the walls, when she was done I’d go in and paint the top. I’m sore today! But it feels good. So I cut the legs to length by hand. The chop saw wasnt cutting accuratly enough for me so I cut these to length with a knife, a saw and my new bench hook. Then took the #4 to the end grain. Choped the Head and Foot board rails to length. Then ...
Hello friends, I invite you to join me on my newest adventure. I’m building some bunk beds for the kids. I contemplating buying them but after going to pottery barn kids and seeing pine bunk beds for $1,400 I talked the ol’ lady into letting me make them. I mean they even had planner tear out in them and everything to give them that rustic look. I can do better than that! So here is the plan: The wood is HD 2×6’s. I bought some plans online just to validate what I...
For more on this and other posts, visit: Pallet Craft! Hey all! Today I have something cool to share! So we just got a bunk bed (see my blog for type) second hand for my daughter to have in her room.As we were building it we were saying to ourselves that we wanted to put her stuffed animals on the bottom, but we did not have a second mattress yet and the bottom only had a metal wire support. It was safe to say we wanted to put something on it that would be better than bare metal! My wif...
Building the stairs With the main bunk bed complete, it was time to turn my attention to the stairs. For safety reasons, mom insisted the bunk bed have stairs instead of a ladder. The original design featured drawers on the end and paneled sides. Upon further reflection (and measuring) it was clear that this placement wouldn’t work – there simply wouldn’t be enough room to access them. Many commercial beds feature drawers under each step, so I figured this could work here...
In the last few weeks since my latest post, I’ve made significant progress on the bed. I applied the finish to the poplar parts and glued up the head and foot ends of the bed. At this point I was able to test-assemble the bed and give the kids a chance to take it for a test…er…rest? The boys give it a test run Back “X” The “X” across the back of the piece is very similar to the “X” logos in the ends, minus the top and bottom arcs....
Over the last couple weeks I’ve completed the construction of the side and end rails and cut the slats for supporting the mattresses. I also settled on somewhat novel connection hardware for the rails. Woodcraft sells a very inexpensive bed rail set bracket set that are nonetheless very sturdy and heavy duty. I’ve augmented the connection with a single 10×50mm domino in each rail for added security and support. I cut the slots to exact width in both the rail and the post, so ...
Laying out the Ends Typically I find a detailed SketchUp drawing to be sufficient for my builds. For this project, however, I felt the need to do a full-size drawing to lay the components out on. After drafting an end on a 4×8 sheet of MDF, I started ripping down another MDF sheet to 6” wide strips. After much thought, the easiest way to build the edge-beveled, circle-inscribed Xs would be to cut the strips, bevel the edges on the table saw, and then cut the compound joints to ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries