Hello again folks, this blog aint done yet, I still have to finish the railings and ladders and make this thing a bunk bed. I started a new job recently so I’ve been very busy, as a result, shop time has been limited and my picture taking has been lax. But I’ve got enough below to give you an idea of the process. Nothing too ground breaking here and no galoot points when it comes to mortising. Jointing one face and one edge so I can feed them through the thickness planer ...
Hello again friends and thanks for following. In this installment I prep each of the panels (Head bard and Food Board) for glue up. I’ve done a lot of work since my last blog but progress has been a little slow. Before I glued up the panels I tested my dye/poly finish to make sure that pine and birch ply would look ok together. And it looks ok to me. Gives me that splotchy pine look my wife likes so much. ;-) Then on to prep the panels for glue up. This consisted of planing an ...
Here is a little more progress on my build Installing the brackets on the bed posts: First I lay out the location of the Mortise with a mortising gauge. I need to get something better than this crappy Harbor Freight gauge but it does ok for now. Chisel out the ends of the mortise with a chisel. I start with my router plane set to full depth and work from one end back removing waste little by little. #71 Action shot! The smooth and crisp mortise is a beautiful thing. :-) ...
Hello again folks. Here is the update on my project. I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking. I experiment with new circ saw method. I just scored the first line and then eyeballed the second utility knife cut to the thickness of the blade. Then followed the line free hand. Works Great! Very little tear out. Those of you who follow the Workbench thread already know that I cut into my bench doing this. :-( So, I won’t rehash that here. Fixing that will have to be a separa...
For more on this and other posts, visit: Pallet Craft! Hey all! Today I have something cool to share! So we just got a bunk bed (see my blog for type) second hand for my daughter to have in her room.As we were building it we were saying to ourselves that we wanted to put her stuffed animals on the bottom, but we did not have a second mattress yet and the bottom only had a metal wire support. It was safe to say we wanted to put something on it that would be better than bare metal! My wif...
Fits and Starts The last couple weeks have been crowded with both personal and professional activities. I’ve had to work in found time, an hour here, an hour there. My next task was to fit the upper and lower bouts of the “X”s with their panels. Finishing the Wedges The pie wedges are cut from 1/2” cherry plywood, stained to match the poplar hardwood used elsewhere. Though it seems a shame to stain cherry, the cheaper plywood readily available to me was pretty...
UPDATE Based on some excellent feedback, I’ve made some changes to the design. The front rail was a bit troublesome from both a design and stability perspective. I’ve replaced it with 1-1/4” tube steel posts extending from the head and foot of the top bunk, with angles that mimic the back “X”. UPDATED DESIGN - The updated safety rail UPDATED DESIGN - front view What do you think of the changes? original post… Nightcrawler With four kids...
I have attached a video to help the beginner try and build a bed. It’s a relatively easy project even for the amateur. This was one of the first woodwork projects I ever did. If you need any help, send me a message or comment on this blog. Here’s the video:
The bedrails are up, and functional, meaning that the Bee can sleep in her bed tonight instead of camping out of the living room floor. She is some where between thrilled about the bed rails and disappointed about the loss of camping. The ladder slot worked out perfectly—I hogged it out with my brace and bit, then cleaned it up with a chisel, and it came out beautifully. I was sort of nervous about this operation, since I’ve never done anything like it before. The slot ...
The Bee’s bunk bed needs some bed rails. I spent a few hours staring at the bed and scribbling little sketches, then another hour or so wandering around the hardware store and lumber yard buying stuff I probably don’t need, and have spent another nice while this afternoon getting started making the rails. First up, assemble these parts into slots to to fit these rails I cut all the wood to measure yesterday, which involved lots of running up and down from the ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1507 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1531 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries