Have not been here much in the last year or so. I got a new position at work which has taken up more time in a good way. I have actually built a bunch more of the kitchen cabinets which I will post later. I am finally building some removable sliding windows for the porch. I put some fixed windows in a few years ago, but it was long enough that I completely forgot how to do the job smoothly. So I am going to document it this time. In this blog: How to make the frames. Here are two of the...
My cabinets will have two visible solid panels. In this blog I will show the process I use in panel glue up (for bettor or for worse). Stock Selection Although the face frame stack is quartersawn, most of the original end panels in our house are plain sawn. About a year back a neighbor game me some old growth fir. Tasty!This wood was beautiful and will become the most visible panel. I also resawed some old beams to create the stock for the second less visible panel. I left the stock...
Craftsman Bungalow Restoration #24: Corner Cabinets Part 2: It all starts with rough lumber. Sigh....
I ripped and rough cut up my old fir beams. We had to take this picture several times to get a shot where I wasn’t making the angry woodworker face. My poor little 10 amp Black and Decker circular saw was not cutting it. The blade kept coming loose (that’s bad). I eventually switched over to my Craftsman 11 amp and got the job done. I start by surveying the board with my metal detector. Usually I spend a few hours pulling nails, but a I am getting impatient and there were s...
Fitting the doorsThe doors are held on with a piece of metal trim that protrudes from the sub door of the fridge. I decided to use a method where a 1/4” backer board is inserted into the trim and then my doors are screwed into place from the back. I soon realized it is much easier to fit my doors when the fridge doors have been removed and are laying flat. In the above picture I had already fit the freezer door. I did not take photos of this but you will see the entire process on ...
The Hole in My KitchenFor the past two years we have lived with a hole in the wall of the kitchen where the fridge was. I was going to turn this into a pantry, but we decided to put the fridge back in. We found a fridge that would accept custom panels. It is 36” wide. and only 24” deep to the doors.We had to cut back one stud in the wall to accommodate the depth and reinforce the floor for the weight, but the hole/nook is ready for the fridge. DesignI drew up several design...
Home Tour MadnessIn two weeks (April 26) our house is going to be featured on the neighborhood home tour. Over 1000 people will be walking through…. gulp. I have a to-do list longer than my arm. I’ll give you more details on that later. Item 50: Build DeckPreviously we had a crummy set of dilapidated stairs leading to our back door. After some poorly planned landscaping we ended up with a dirt circle. Seen behind me in this picture. On the upside it was a good place ...
If you remember the last time I fit the doors in…..They were all dinged up and “beyond repair.” Well a hammer and saw later(see last blog) and they were ready to stain. Procedure: Washcoat, two coats gel stain, shellac, poly. FrankenHingesNothing comes easy around here. I knew the shape of the original hinges but could not find a supplier. So I order two different types of hinges from rejuvenation… Check out the video of how I mixed the two hinges. Not rocke...
I finally got around to dealing with this mess. (I just noticed that I posted the last post for this project 385 days ago!)Kristin is patient, but she has been asking me to stain and install the doors. I had some fitting to do, along with a week or so of staining/ finishing before install time. (not to mention dropping/breaking/rebuilding/ one door).Installing the Z-braces on the inside of the doors. First to install a door stop for the doors to close against. If I could do it all over I woul...
Tilt Outs I started the tilt outs optimisticaly. I began by making filler strips to bring the hinges flush to the face frame. Setting the hinge. After lots of adjusting (3 hours) I got the drawer to fit reasonably well. The weird thing about these hinges is that they dont just tilt. They kind of tilt, slide down, and then push in. They are more intended for overlay applications and really should have been installed prior to the cabinet installation. I had to cut down the drawer front...
ScribingI took Todd’s advice and scribed some hardboard strips. The first two strips did not fit well, but then I switched from the jigsaw to the bandsaw for cut out. It wentso well that I decided to just go ahead and scribe the real trim, since it was lighter and easier to see the pencil lines. Here I have the trim board tacked up level. Here I am setting the compass to the distance that the board needs to lose material. I was shooting for 1/8” below the top of the cabin...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries