Home Tour MadnessIn two weeks (April 26) our house is going to be featured on the neighborhood home tour. Over 1000 people will be walking through…. gulp. I have a to-do list longer than my arm. I’ll give you more details on that later. Item 50: Build DeckPreviously we had a crummy set of dilapidated stairs leading to our back door. After some poorly planned landscaping we ended up with a dirt circle. Seen behind me in this picture. On the upside it was a good place ...
So at first I was only going to post this as a completed project, but I felt that in order to keep from saturating that post with too many photos, I would also post this as a blog. Plus it might inspire me to add a bit of dialogue about the process. This is the completed project. This is the space that I started with. So I have a pretty small house with a fairly small kitchen, in which we have my girlfriend’s table and four chairs. The problem we were running into is that when ...
(Please note: I originally posted this earlier today as a forum topic, but then decided to put it in as a blog entry in order to keep all of my entries together. I have also added more information to this posting here.) A year ago Christmas, Santa promised my wife that he’d build built-in bookcases with doors, as well as an adjoining mantel. Well, Santa got busy over the course of that year landscaping most of the yard by laying brick pavers, constructing a couple of raised brick planter b...
(The Story So Far: Our Hero is constructing a built-in bed for his daughter, with inadequate tools and woodworking experience. He has recently moved on to the drawer-building phase.) Over the weekend I found time to install the top two drawers into the bookcase ends of the built-in. I used these drawer slides from Woodworker’s Hardware, and I can recommend them to anyone looking for cheaper but well-made drawer slides. As far as I can tell, these are identical to the much more ex...
(The Story So Far: Our Hero is constructing a built-in bed for his daughter, with inadequate tools and woodworking experience.) I’ve spent the last couple of days finishing up the panels that make up the sides of the bed enclosure and bookshelves. Part of the effort is to finish the edges so that I can put on face boards or prepare the surface for veneering. The panels are a sandwich of 3 sheets of plywood, so naturally they do not line up perfectly at the edges. The straight e...
I always enjoy reading project blogs here on LJ, so I’ve decided to attempt one myself. Hopefully some folks will find it enjoyable! I’ve built a few beds over the past years, the most recent being this one that my son uses: It’s solid maple and has been beat up a little over the years and acquired glow-in-the-dark stars, all of which adds to its character, and I don’t mind in the least. I like that the bed has been host to both my children and that they...
(The Story So Far: Our Hero is constructing a built-in bed for his daughter, with inadequate tools and woodworking experience. Work has resumed after a holiday break.) I’ve spent some time over the last few weeks building the bed frame and the shelves for the bookcase units. That work is mostly done, and parts are being test-fitted and painted on the “play room” side of our basement. I have some concerns about the sturdiness of the bed frame, so I’ve been ...
With one large panel built-up (if not finished), I moved on to the other panel of the same end. This is essentially just a 24”x96” bookshelf side, although like the large panel it is made up of a sandwich of two 1/2” sheets of birch-sided plywood with 1/2” plywood spacers in between. This shows what the sandwich looked like just before gluing on the second face: I fastened the second face of the large panel on with screws through the face. For this one I deci...
I don’t think I’ve posted a picture of the bookcase sides with shelves and the decorative top piece installed. Here’s what they look like: You can see that they’re already in use. With my practice drawer out of the way and fairly successful, I moved on to building the first four drawers for the built-in. These are all 6” tall and 15×20 inches, so I can conveniently make them from 1/2” stock from the local Big Box Store. The quality of...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1509 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1533 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries