Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
Another Milestone I am pretty excited to share with you guys today’s progress. I got all of the handle pieces finished! Next I have some touch up on the doors and the final install. I am sure I will have a full day of technical sweating. I had to brush the pieces again on the wire wheel to brighten the finish. I then hung them from the ceiling and wiped them down thoroughly with acetone. This strips any oil from the surface. I sprayed them with an acrylic resin lacquer by Sh...
Home Tour MadnessIn two weeks (April 26) our house is going to be featured on the neighborhood home tour. Over 1000 people will be walking through…. gulp. I have a to-do list longer than my arm. I’ll give you more details on that later. Item 50: Build DeckPreviously we had a crummy set of dilapidated stairs leading to our back door. After some poorly planned landscaping we ended up with a dirt circle. Seen behind me in this picture. On the upside it was a good place ...
I was back over at the house tonight to pick up a couple of things. I took some pictures of the shelves. They still have dust on them (I did not bother with cleaning them since the hardwood floors have not been sanded yet. These are not the final pictures. I will go take some more once the floors are done and shelves are cleaned off. Those I will put in here as a project. Enjoy these.
I always enjoy reading project blogs here on LJ, so I’ve decided to attempt one myself. Hopefully some folks will find it enjoyable! I’ve built a few beds over the past years, the most recent being this one that my son uses: It’s solid maple and has been beat up a little over the years and acquired glow-in-the-dark stars, all of which adds to its character, and I don’t mind in the least. I like that the bed has been host to both my children and that they...
So at first I was only going to post this as a completed project, but I felt that in order to keep from saturating that post with too many photos, I would also post this as a blog. Plus it might inspire me to add a bit of dialogue about the process. This is the completed project. This is the space that I started with. So I have a pretty small house with a fairly small kitchen, in which we have my girlfriend’s table and four chairs. The problem we were running into is that when ...
(Please note: I originally posted this earlier today as a forum topic, but then decided to put it in as a blog entry in order to keep all of my entries together. I have also added more information to this posting here.) A year ago Christmas, Santa promised my wife that he’d build built-in bookcases with doors, as well as an adjoining mantel. Well, Santa got busy over the course of that year landscaping most of the yard by laying brick pavers, constructing a couple of raised brick planter b...
(The Story So Far: Our Hero is constructing a built-in bed for his daughter, with inadequate tools and woodworking experience, and so far has made only a small number of terrible errors, which fortunately he can blame on others.) Just a short note today, because I haven’t had time to make significant progress these last two days. I did get out and trim the two panels that make up one side of the built-in to the same width and cut the top and bottom pieces, as well as the one perman...
So life forced a break from woodworking. I finished college a few years ago at Kendall College of Art and Design with a degree in Furniture Design and Woodworking. After that I moved across the country and a worked for a couple different non-profits for a couple years during which time I also met and married my wife. We started looking for a new apartment for a few reasons, one of which was to find one with a garage that I could work in. I had worked in a cabinet/custom furnitu...
(The Story So Far: Our Hero is constructing a built-in bed for his daughter, with inadequate tools and woodworking experience. Work has resumed after a holiday break.) I’ve spent some time over the last few weeks building the bed frame and the shelves for the bookcase units. That work is mostly done, and parts are being test-fitted and painted on the “play room” side of our basement. I have some concerns about the sturdiness of the bed frame, so I’ve been ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1198 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1220 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 333 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries