[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] This morning I had an appointment, but before I left I unclamped yesterday’s glue-ups and glued up another back piece and the last two seat frames. When I returned it was time to peg the seat frames for which I made a jig. Always save your scrap! You never know when you’ll need to make a jig. [Below] This jig is only used to mark where I want to drill the holes for the pegs. It makes them more evenly spaced than exactly positioned. [...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] [Below] I designed the seat frame to try and conceal the end grain of each board once the chair is completely assembled. Unfortunately this makes it a bit difficult to glue up. A band clamp won’t hold things together well, so I use my trusty bar clamps. [Below] It’s true that you can’t ever have too many clamps in the shop. I was only able to glue up 4 of the 6 chair seat frames today. I’ll let them set overnight and begin again t...
[Legeble ankaŭ en Esperanto] During the prototype process I built a 2-in-1 jig to make tapering the legs easier. [Below] Even though I chose boards that were pretty clear, they were still just common pine boards and had some small knots in them. By cutting the lengths carefully I eliminated some of them. Via the tapering of the legs, I was able to cut out a few more bad spots. (The wedge shaped cut offs from this project can be glued together and used for small projects.) ...
Just a few pics today. I started off by cleaning up yesterday’s glue-ups on the column cheeks and generally tidying things up. Then I cut the recesses for the threaded rod in the carriage logs and glued in the filler pieces. The posts won’t glue in until the ends of the carriage logs are machined. The rest of the day was consumed by assembling the arm clamps with carriage bolts and with cutting and fitting all the seat parts. Here’s the photo I wanted to ge...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] I wanted to get the bent lamination for the back out of the way because I wanted to leave it over night in the press. [Below] I’ve learned from experience to protect the outer faces of the lamination with tape. Other wise the glue squeeze out gets on the edges and it takes more time to scrape/sand it off. I’m using packing tape here because I was out of wide masking tape. [Below] The press is made from some particle board and it is just ...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] This is a step by step ‘tutorial’ for the finished project located here: [link] [Above] I’m using a 1×12 to build this chair, I’m actually building 6 chairs, but just add the plurals where needed. I began by cross cutting the board in half to make it more manageable. [Above] I ripped the board into 3 inch strips. These are pretty much the standard width for most of the pieces. A 2 inch strip is left over, but part of ...
I guess I got lots done today although I didn’t get as far as I wanted to. (Do we ever?) There have been enough blogs on chevy construction and I’ve got lots of pictures so I’ll keep the text to a minimum and let the photos do the explaining. These are the cheeks for the sides of the columns in way of the arm clamps. I band sawed them to save time. Then, before I glued them on, I cut the part catching gullets on the column tops. ... and sanded them. ...
I would love to have the time to work on these chevys with hand tools without the noise, dust, and sharp whirly things but I’m on a mission here and time is of the essence. In that light, this morning started out (after cleaning up the glue-ups) with dadoing the recesses in the columns to match those made in the face plates yesterday. I am pleased to say I can still count to ten without using any toes. Next I laid out the mortises in the bases and moved on to the mortiser (sorry,...
OK, I’m a little impulsive but I work quickly so maybe I can pull this off. I’m showing my jewellery box at the Sooke Fine Art Show in a week and will be doing four hours of chevalet / marquetry demos there as well. When I have done this in the past I have always had inquiries about classes which I have always put off because a) I didn’t feel I was good enough or experienced enough to teach marquetry and b) because to teach this kind of marquetry to a class of more than one ...
It’s Complete! With some paint screws and some half lap joinery, 2×4 bunk bed build is over. It was a fun project and will last a really long time. Check out the video, comment, like and subscribe. View on YouTube
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1807 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 129 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 113 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1832 entries
- dbhost - 440 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 320 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries