[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] Today I started by removing yesterday’s back piece from the bending press and gluing up another one. Then I took one of the first ones I made and scraped any glue squeeze out from one edge. [Below] Running the clean edge along my rip fence, I skim trim the other edge to get it smooth. Then I do the same with the opposite side. [Below] The back piece blank is larger than needed. In this case, the space between the sides is 17 inches, just like i...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] [Below] The front legs are put on first because they have that convenient cut out which serves to support the seat frame. [Below] I’ve drilled and countersunk the holes in these pieces so that once they’re on it’s done. [Below] Before the glue dries I check that the legs are sitting the same. We’ll presume my table saw top is even. [Below] The backs legs to not have a mechanical reference for their position so I cut ...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] This morning I pegged the last 2 seat frames from yesterday and glued up another back piece. Onward! [Below] I used my official dovetail saw to cut the dowels flush with the side of the wood. [Below] I’m unsure if it helped, but I put a piece of duct tape on the side of the saw to try and keep the dowels microscopically proud of the surface and protect the wood from saw scratches. [Below] I was supposed to round over the inside tops of th...
Today I got the “furniture” pretty much completed. What remains to be made are the working parts of the saws and they will have to wait. Tomorrow I will switch gears and get into preparing for my presentations at the fine arts show. They are on Saturday and once I get through them (and maybe go sailing for a couple of days) I will get back to finish these little guys. The first shot here is of the chaos that happens when I get into a project. There are off-cuts everywhere and e...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] This morning I had an appointment, but before I left I unclamped yesterday’s glue-ups and glued up another back piece and the last two seat frames. When I returned it was time to peg the seat frames for which I made a jig. Always save your scrap! You never know when you’ll need to make a jig. [Below] This jig is only used to mark where I want to drill the holes for the pegs. It makes them more evenly spaced than exactly positioned. [...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] [Below] I designed the seat frame to try and conceal the end grain of each board once the chair is completely assembled. Unfortunately this makes it a bit difficult to glue up. A band clamp won’t hold things together well, so I use my trusty bar clamps. [Below] It’s true that you can’t ever have too many clamps in the shop. I was only able to glue up 4 of the 6 chair seat frames today. I’ll let them set overnight and begin again t...
[Legeble ankaŭ en Esperanto] During the prototype process I built a 2-in-1 jig to make tapering the legs easier. [Below] Even though I chose boards that were pretty clear, they were still just common pine boards and had some small knots in them. By cutting the lengths carefully I eliminated some of them. Via the tapering of the legs, I was able to cut out a few more bad spots. (The wedge shaped cut offs from this project can be glued together and used for small projects.) ...
Just a few pics today. I started off by cleaning up yesterday’s glue-ups on the column cheeks and generally tidying things up. Then I cut the recesses for the threaded rod in the carriage logs and glued in the filler pieces. The posts won’t glue in until the ends of the carriage logs are machined. The rest of the day was consumed by assembling the arm clamps with carriage bolts and with cutting and fitting all the seat parts. Here’s the photo I wanted to ge...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] I wanted to get the bent lamination for the back out of the way because I wanted to leave it over night in the press. [Below] I’ve learned from experience to protect the outer faces of the lamination with tape. Other wise the glue squeeze out gets on the edges and it takes more time to scrape/sand it off. I’m using packing tape here because I was out of wide masking tape. [Below] The press is made from some particle board and it is just ...
[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] This is a step by step ‘tutorial’ for the finished project located here: [link] [Above] I’m using a 1×12 to build this chair, I’m actually building 6 chairs, but just add the plurals where needed. I began by cross cutting the board in half to make it more manageable. [Above] I ripped the board into 3 inch strips. These are pretty much the standard width for most of the pieces. A 2 inch strip is left over, but part of ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries