Here is my latest progress. This blog is too damn long, I need to remember to do these more often and break them up. Sorry about that. Mostly pictures though. Questions and Comments are welcome! THE WELL BACK:Trying to “Steam Bend” the tool well back straight. Notice the dowle I used to get the clamp as far out of the way as possible. Hit it with the heat gun Got it straight enough to joint one side and run through the planner without losing too much thickness This...
Hello again folks. Here is the update on my project. I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking. I experiment with new circ saw method. I just scored the first line and then eyeballed the second utility knife cut to the thickness of the blade. Then followed the line free hand. Works Great! Very little tear out. Those of you who follow the Workbench thread already know that I cut into my bench doing this. :-( So, I won’t rehash that here. Fixing that will have to be a separa...
OK, I’m a little impulsive but I work quickly so maybe I can pull this off. I’m showing my jewellery box at the Sooke Fine Art Show in a week and will be doing four hours of chevalet / marquetry demos there as well. When I have done this in the past I have always had inquiries about classes which I have always put off because a) I didn’t feel I was good enough or experienced enough to teach marquetry and b) because to teach this kind of marquetry to a class of more than one ...
This one’s been in the works for awhile, and by that I mean I’ve pondered it in my head for a few minutes here and there over the last several months. I’ve had the general idea most of that time, but this week I pondered even harder than ever and imagined all of the pieces. I just wanted something simple that could hold one of the two dust hoods I’ve ended up with from Rockler, but I wanted to be able to tilt it forward over the piece, or backward out of the way, an...
I would love to have the time to work on these chevys with hand tools without the noise, dust, and sharp whirly things but I’m on a mission here and time is of the essence. In that light, this morning started out (after cleaning up the glue-ups) with dadoing the recesses in the columns to match those made in the face plates yesterday. I am pleased to say I can still count to ten without using any toes. Next I laid out the mortises in the bases and moved on to the mortiser (sorry,...
Hello again friends and thanks for following. In this installment I prep each of the panels (Head bard and Food Board) for glue up. I’ve done a lot of work since my last blog but progress has been a little slow. Before I glued up the panels I tested my dye/poly finish to make sure that pine and birch ply would look ok together. And it looks ok to me. Gives me that splotchy pine look my wife likes so much. ;-) Then on to prep the panels for glue up. This consisted of planing an ...
Hey LJ! So a few weeks back I posted some mid-project photoes of how my bandsaw build was going and although it is not entirley finished and still needs little extras like a coat of paint, a stand and a fence I can now show you the fully working and (built bandsaw). Heres a quick video showing the build process… Enjoy! Its been a great project and I hope to soon post another video showing it in all of it glory.
Hello again folks, this blog aint done yet, I still have to finish the railings and ladders and make this thing a bunk bed. I started a new job recently so I’ve been very busy, as a result, shop time has been limited and my picture taking has been lax. But I’ve got enough below to give you an idea of the process. Nothing too ground breaking here and no galoot points when it comes to mortising. Jointing one face and one edge so I can feed them through the thickness planer ...
Just a few pics today. I started off by cleaning up yesterday’s glue-ups on the column cheeks and generally tidying things up. Then I cut the recesses for the threaded rod in the carriage logs and glued in the filler pieces. The posts won’t glue in until the ends of the carriage logs are machined. The rest of the day was consumed by assembling the arm clamps with carriage bolts and with cutting and fitting all the seat parts. Here’s the photo I wanted to ge...
DJ wants “overflow” storage for her bathroom stuff and towels. And as y’all know … what DJ (or whoever YOUR equivalent is) wants … DJ gets. Time to buy some plans !! No. Wait. Not THIS time. THIS time, I’m going to actually design AND build something. [Lord, help us all….] Flipped through a few of the volumes from my awesome collection of used woodworking books. Special shout out to “Illustrated Cabinetmaking,” by...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1782 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1807 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 235 entries
- Dave Rutan - 228 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries