The dovetails and mortise and tenons on the carcase are done. My dovetails are getting better. Practice does make a difference. Tails done time for pins Its square. Cutting the mortises. The tape makes the knife marks easier to see, A little touchup on one end and we can cut and fit the panels front and rear.
I have always wanted to build a Gerstner style wooden tool box but the drawers were designed more for a machinist than woodworking. The project has stayed on the backburner for a long time. A few months ago i saw a picture and downloaded an article from FWW on the Essential Toolbox by Mike Pekovich. I had built a wall cabinet based on his design earlier and found that the design lent itself very well to personalizing it. The toolchest design seemed to be the same way. I really wanted a th...
A few years ago I saw plans for a clock that I rally liked and have wanted to build ever since. So, about a month ago, I decided that it was finally time to do it. Needing Christmas presents for my four adult kids and their families, I decided to make 5, one for each kid and one for myself. So, even though I was already into two projects, (two more commissioned caskets) and I don’t really like to do different projects concurrently, I started on them. Being big on symbolism and wanted t...
After a busy week of work and life, last weekend allowed me a few hours to devote to this latest “Mystery Project”...Though it only took 3 1/2- 4 hours, the sides were finally joined sometime Saturday morning… The last side is the most work, as it requires two corners to be filed to fit… These larger sides don’t help, they’re harder to handle, so the sides were clamped to the router table to facilitate the fiing… I might have saved mys...
So a new project has begun, a Commissioned piece this time…Until I receive permission, I’d rather not discuss all the details, but you clever bunch will pretty easily discern what is being made here…Some Wood was secured, Bubinga that had been milled last Winter… When the two matched pieces were butted together, they seriously didn’t jibe, so trued ends were cut by marking and cutting them using a Square and Rule… A good deal of Plotting and Scheming th...
The lid separation went smoothly; mostly because the bottom was reasonably flat and sat square against the table saw fence. The only thing to clean up is the heavy burn marks on the lid side. The box side hasn’t got even a tiny mark. Why is that? The inside looks better than I have expected: the miters are tight and the corners are pretty clean. I have decided on butt hinges, the ones that have to be mortised into box and the lid; and, because the lid is heavy, a stop w...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=637nmSZ7aNA Follow along as I walk through my wood working shop while I talk about the projects and tools that are currently in the shop. Oh I start with a quick look at my new movable chicken coop!
Pics will be in a few minutes… Where exactly did I leave off last time…ahh the main body is essentially done, and now all the adjustment features are all that’s left. Boxing The one weakness of cherry for planes is that it’s just a little bit soft. Not much softer then beech, but enough that a harder sole will help over the years. Especially on a fillister or rabbet plane where almost all of the wear is on a corner. I chose bubinga to box it with, because its ...
Intro- I’ve been using a lot of wooden planes recently and have really come to enjoy their lightness and the feel of wood sliding on wood. Obviously there are a ton of vintage woodies out there; however, I quite enjoy making my own versions of them. They are a lot cheaper (if you have some time on your hands) and you don’t have to deal with old warped wood and a host of other problems you may encounter. I can’t say I am an expert by any means, I’m simply sharing my...
Pics will be on in a few min- will edit when I’ve got em all, hang in there ;) After making my small cherry smoother which worked great, I decided I wanted to up my game and build a more traditional styled plane. I also wanted it to be toted and have a harder wood for the sole of the plane. I chose to use cherry again because it’s what I had and it is very beautiful. For the sole I chose purpleheart- mostly because its what I had, but its also extremely hard and it is actua...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 267 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries