Now that I have all of my lumber to start my projects, I need to get my garage in order and put together the shop in the best possible layout. But the first order of business is getting my vintage craftsman jointer in working condition. Oh as a heads up I very rarely and I do mean rarely buy anything tools new. Just a waste of money that can be spent on wood and more tools, but I digress. I have a Craftsman/King Sealey 101.03582 6” jointer with a fixed infeed table and adjustable outfee...
So after being so careful with my first humidor only to screw it up on the hinge install, I tried a few different techniques on some scrap for installing the hinges than decided to build another box. This time I decided I would do mitered corners with veneer splines for strength, since I didn’t want to mess around with edging. I had a beautiful piece of quarter sawn Bubinga that had been sitting on my rack for a few months now, begging to be turned into something. I decided it wanted...
Time to plan out the design for my first Humidor. This will be a very basic box built to minimize cuts, make efficient use of lumber and hopefully hold a regular humidity. I started with a simple dimension that I wanted, I figured an internal box dimension of 12” by 8” would be a nice size to fit a beginners collection of cigars and cigar paraphernalia. I knew I wanted to have a depth of about 6” simply because I wanted to use the approx. factory width of the lumber I get...
Part of every workshop success is being organized and having templates on hand to trace and cut out, my shop is no different, for the longest time I kept my templates stuffed in a box, as of lately I have been getting request for shelves, rather than dig out these templates I created the “I SEE IT BOARD” this way a person can see the options that are available, it will be easier for me as well because I will be able to grab what I need and when I am done I can easily put it back ...
As my “Honey-Do” and client projects wind down a little before it really gets cold here in Swellendam, I have at last made a start on my build. A few weeks of regular scrounging at my local tip has yielded some good lumber and adding this to my off cut stack, I think that I have enough lumber to do the job. Buying the hardware kit and plans from ASFM at $500.00 means I would have been into about ZAR6,500.00 before I even made a start. So…..enter “Shipwright” w...
This Thorsen House cabinet repro is probably the third large-scale Greene & Greene project I’ve worked on in addition to numerous smaller lighting items. Common to the lot of them are masses of Ebony splines and plugs. Lots of information exists on people’s own ideas of how to pillow, round, shape, soften and relieve simple square plugs. Probably the most common that I’ve come across is William Ng’s tactic of chucking up a squared and thicknessed stick and pillo...
Finshed. While applying the finish I realized there was no hardware on the lid for opening it. It is exactly the same size as the box. The only way to open was friction on the sides of the lid.I laid one of the drawer pulls on top of the lid and it looked pretty good. I took an extra couple of days and ordered another drawer ring for the lid. After the last coat of shellac I epoxied in the escutcheon for the locks. The drawer pull came in today. The box has 2 coats of amber shella...
I expected to be farther than I am but things kept getting in the way. It’s hard finding time for everything when you are retired.I pulled the clamps scraped the glue squeeze out and sanded to 220. I started to install the drawers for the final fit and found two drawers wouldn’t fit. I had glued in one of the drawer dividers upside down. After talking to myself a little I took a walk came back and cut one of the drawers down fit great and made another drawer. That turned out ...
I have been doing a lot of little things to get ready for glue up. I cut the mortise for the lid latch and fit the escutcheons in the keyholes. The escutcheons came out pretty close to straight up and down and in alignment. drilled and mounted the drawer pulls and handles. Yesterday afternoon put the finish on all of the inside surfaces. Sanded and put a second coat on this morning. I’m using amber shellac on the oak, clear on the Bubinga. About 10:30 this morning I glued up...
Yesterday and today were relatively productive for the most part. I got the dovetails cut on the three drawers. I cut these with a PC 4200 series dovetail jig. The front is attached with halfblind dovetails. These are usually the easiest to setup and cut but for some reason I had a hard time setting things up. and when I cut them two came out tighter than I like two were right on and two were a little loose. I don’t know why nothing moved. The through dovetails on the rear of the...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries