As I sit here and wait for my walnut burl to arrive from UPS. ( My first internet order of lumber, I am a bit nervous.) I thought I would share a quick picture of my new box. I normally don’t share my projects when they are incomplete unless I am doing a blog or need a little advice on how to finish up a design. This time it is simply because I am so excited about it. This is my largest box to date. There is ruler in the picture to show scale. It is sized using the golden rectan...
Well, about 330 days ago I wrote something about being finished this piece in another 4 weeks. That didn’t happen, but in my defence I did get other pieces done in that time, I just kept getting pulled away from this jewelry cabinet. The work left on this piece was not big, but very finicky and detailed, which is likely why I kept finding it hard to get traction. I made the three drawers for the bottom section before moving onto the more intricate boxes that sit on the cabinet. ...
Kova в проекте понаписал чего-то по-испански))). Я ничего не понял, но по догадкам, вроде бы спрашивает как делал. Делал вот так: Думаю, довольно доходчиво и понятно. Удачи. Алексей.
As we were taking in some rays in the Palm Springs area last month, I had the urge to see some lumber or tools, and realized it was not a long drive to Carlsbad California to the Tropical Exotic Hardwoods supplier. Their website is here It was relatively easy to find with GPS, and the warehouse was large and well lit. There were a few customers while we were there (about an hour), but it was not really busy – it was a week day around lunch time. They had ...
This is the final post for my Veneered Sofa Table project. It is finally finished, the weekend before Christmas. In my last post, I had finished staining the non veneered portions of the table using General Finishes Light Walnut Oil Stain. The only reason that I stained the mahogany was to match an existing piece. Next step was to attached the table top. I was out of figure 8 clips so I created home made fasteners by drilling a pocket screw into a wooden tab and then drilling an ...
Have completed my experimentation with finishing, it is time to finalize the table top. I cut the frame pieces for the table top from the same stock I used for the legs and sides. This turned out to make the table top glue up a little more complicated because I ended trying to place a 3/4” panel in a frame made of 15/16” thick stock. Note that I cut the long members a little wider than the short members so that I can trim them for a final fit around the panel (I will expl...
I appreciate the input from a number of folks about potential finishing methods. I tried a few and settled on a final choice. I started out trying to find a finish that would retain the natural look of the bubinga without significantly changing the color. Unfortunately I failed. I used a scraper to level my last two test boards and then sanded the surface with 320 followed by 400 grit. Tried one side with aerosol spray lacquer – 3 coats and one side with pure tung ...
By Bob “Grizz” PutMAN with a little help from a friend (Jim Bertelson) . . . . Amazing twisted beauty, lies before my eye’s … It’s the Rolling Thunder, what a grand surprise! Surely stored up magic, from an ancient Celtic land, Turned up into rolling wood, by Lew the wizard man. . . . . When such beauty, was soon to be seen, A wonderful happening, from behind the scenes… Taking God’s wood, with your shaping and style, Lew created a gem, that made me smile. . . A wonderful gift Lew made f...
This weekend was more like chemistry class than shop time. I have been experimenting with finishes for the rotary cut bubinga (kevazinga) panels. If I could get a clear coat that did not change the raw wood color, I would be happy. But so far most of my choices have darkened up the raw wood. I am really looking for a clear wood finish that enhances the grain without darkening it. Or a decent coloring that keeps the contrast against the mahogany border without obscuring the grain. ...
I recently finished working on a cutting algorithm app for the iPad and iPhone called Smart Cutter, and wanted to share the app with every one hoping get some feedback from carpenters and wood workers. Smart Cutter finds the maximum number of small pieces cut from a larger sheet of paper with minimum scrap. It employs a state of the art algorithm to generate the maximum number of small pieces cut from a larger sheet of paper, wood, cloth or any other material, with minimum waste. Whether y...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1660 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1685 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries