This Thorsen House cabinet repro is probably the third large-scale Greene & Greene project I’ve worked on in addition to numerous smaller lighting items. Common to the lot of them are masses of Ebony splines and plugs. Lots of information exists on people’s own ideas of how to pillow, round, shape, soften and relieve simple square plugs. Probably the most common that I’ve come across is William Ng’s tactic of chucking up a squared and thicknessed stick and pillo...
Finshed. While applying the finish I realized there was no hardware on the lid for opening it. It is exactly the same size as the box. The only way to open was friction on the sides of the lid.I laid one of the drawer pulls on top of the lid and it looked pretty good. I took an extra couple of days and ordered another drawer ring for the lid. After the last coat of shellac I epoxied in the escutcheon for the locks. The drawer pull came in today. The box has 2 coats of amber shella...
I expected to be farther than I am but things kept getting in the way. It’s hard finding time for everything when you are retired.I pulled the clamps scraped the glue squeeze out and sanded to 220. I started to install the drawers for the final fit and found two drawers wouldn’t fit. I had glued in one of the drawer dividers upside down. After talking to myself a little I took a walk came back and cut one of the drawers down fit great and made another drawer. That turned out ...
I have been doing a lot of little things to get ready for glue up. I cut the mortise for the lid latch and fit the escutcheons in the keyholes. The escutcheons came out pretty close to straight up and down and in alignment. drilled and mounted the drawer pulls and handles. Yesterday afternoon put the finish on all of the inside surfaces. Sanded and put a second coat on this morning. I’m using amber shellac on the oak, clear on the Bubinga. About 10:30 this morning I glued up...
Yesterday and today were relatively productive for the most part. I got the dovetails cut on the three drawers. I cut these with a PC 4200 series dovetail jig. The front is attached with halfblind dovetails. These are usually the easiest to setup and cut but for some reason I had a hard time setting things up. and when I cut them two came out tighter than I like two were right on and two were a little loose. I don’t know why nothing moved. The through dovetails on the rear of the...
I spent yesterday cutting mortises and tenons and fitting the lid. I had a stupid attack and forgot to allow for the lid dado depth when cutting the mortises. I ended with a mortise a 1/4 wider than the tenon. Once everything was glued up I was able to find a piece of scrap that fit the gap precisely. I just cut to length, a little glue and push them in, once they were sanded down I could only find one repair out of four and that one you needed to know where it was to see it. I got a g...
Yesterday and a little bit this morning was spent jointing and fitting the front, back and drawer dividers. I now have a complete carcase. Drawer dividers in and fit. Front and back installed and fit. I need more practice on my mortises but they got better as things progressed. Should be fairly easy to cover the mistakes. On to the lid and drawers.
The dovetails and mortise and tenons on the carcase are done. My dovetails are getting better. Practice does make a difference. Tails done time for pins Its square. Cutting the mortises. The tape makes the knife marks easier to see, A little touchup on one end and we can cut and fit the panels front and rear.
I have always wanted to build a Gerstner style wooden tool box but the drawers were designed more for a machinist than woodworking. The project has stayed on the backburner for a long time. A few months ago i saw a picture and downloaded an article from FWW on the Essential Toolbox by Mike Pekovich. I had built a wall cabinet based on his design earlier and found that the design lent itself very well to personalizing it. The toolchest design seemed to be the same way. I really wanted a th...
A few years ago I saw plans for a clock that I rally liked and have wanted to build ever since. So, about a month ago, I decided that it was finally time to do it. Needing Christmas presents for my four adult kids and their families, I decided to make 5, one for each kid and one for myself. So, even though I was already into two projects, (two more commissioned caskets) and I don’t really like to do different projects concurrently, I started on them. Being big on symbolism and wanted t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries