I wanted to make the lid a breadboard to keep it nice and flat. I started with two boards of eastern white pine boards which I glued together, then added a stub tenons on each side. And here are the end pieces with the mortises already in place. I cut the mortises on my TS. Glued together: I planed the whole thing flat then squared it up. To square it up, I planed down the protruding breadboard end pieces, then ran the opposite side through the TS. I drilled a 3/8&...
Just a short clip using a Festool TS 75 to trim a 9’ long table top with bread board ends that have been left long to be trimmed along with a 1/16’’ of each side.
Cutting the tenon with a router and edge guide jig. This is the setup described by Gregory Paolini. It works well, the only trouble is you have to flip the table several times while sneaking up on the final depth of cut. I recommend cutting only the first pass, then flip and check the fit. Cutting all the way to the shoulder will make it difficult to support the router. The jig is clamped in place, and stays put while you flip the top. Double sided jig helps align the shoulders of t...
DIMENSIONS Okay, so how big should the battons (breadboards) be?How big should the tongue, the tenons….? Well, I am not sure if there is a hard and fast rule. I went with a mixture of necessity, imitation, and inspiration: 1. I calculated the length of each coutertop section which I wanted to end up with, including space at the wall for movement. 2. I calculated how much each breadboard (-loss of tenons) would add to what I already had. 3. Then I made a decision on th...
I decided a while back to add breadboard ends to each of the four sections. These will add beauty and stability to the countertops. What will follow in my blog is almost nothing original. It is mainly just a walk along. Here are my main resources which I highly reccomend. Having never done this before, I got some great information from: -our own GaryLhttp://lumberjocks.com/Maggiepic -an excellent how to video on making the breadboard ends from Popular Woodworkinghttp://www...
At the beginning of August, with the discovery of mold in my kitchen, I began building new countertops. The wood for this work all came from my inlaws barnwood. After getting the countertops glued up, I was interupted by life (teaching, UPS, kids, divorce, and more). Where I left off, I had just gotten the sections back from a local cabinetshop where it was run through a drum sander….. Well, FOUR MONTHS LATER, what a thrill to get back into the shop three days ago. I am tryi...
We’ve been using the new top on top of our old table until I can finish the base. Over the last few months, the top has warped a bit, and was obviously out of alignment with the breadboard ends. While watching an old New Yankee Workshop online, I realized one of the things I did to cause this. I selected the boards for their aesthetic value, trying to match the grain to make it look like one solid piece of wood 38” wide. I neglected to alternate the boards’ growth rings,...
Well, it’s been over three weeks since I put the finish on my box and contemplated putting on the hinges. Since then several things have happened. The weather was cold in Houston for a while and I moved the box inside the house for a while. Over that time, I noticed the bottom had bowed slightly and two small cracks formed in one end. Even though my sliding dovetail construction allowed the sides to move as the bottom contracted and expanded, it didn’t prevent the bottom from ...
It looks like we’ll be running down to SoCal at the end of February to visit family & clients. We’ll take advantage of the opportunity to hit the Gamble House Joinery Tour, hit Disneyland while the kids are at school, and most importantly: Darrell Peart’s Greene & Greene Details I class at the William Ng School of Woodworking! I noticed that Marc Spagnoula (Woodwhisperer) is teaching classes there (i.e. Hall Brothers Frame, etc.). I’m really jazzed because...
While I’m ammonia fuming another project, I figured I’d make progress on this one. I pulled a WoodWhisperer and threw away the tape measure. I milled the ends to the proper thickness (which also gave me some nice mahogany veneer). I can’t tell you how lovely working mahogany is, compared to oak. Then while the stock was still one long piece, I used the table saw blade to make the dado that fits the tongue on the top (Darrell calls it the “core”). I achieved ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1187 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1209 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries