Haven’t had much time lately for my marking gauge: our neighbor pulled out of her garage on her SUV without … opening the garage door. Fixing the door has taken more than I thought it would. Epoxied brass wear strip, the fence and put in the threaded insert. Instead of the suggested 3/8” hole for the insert I had to make it a bit wider than 7/16”—the rosewood’s really hard. Found a brass bolt to be sacrificed for two shoes. The knurled scr...
I had been saving a nice Honduran rosewood cut-off for a while before the last weekend. I wanted to make a marking gauge and thought rosewood was a good wood for it: dense and oily. A few gauges seen at LJ and in several ww magazines were an inspiration. The planned dimensions: fence—2-7/8” × 4-1/2” × 7/8”, beam—3/4” × 1” × 9-1/2”. Cut the beam and fence parts; got a 1/8” × 1” brass bar for wear strips from a recycled construc...
I got a Beall system a few years ago.I started with the 3 circular pads.I liked it so much I also got the 3 polishing balls to do inside bowls.I also got an old motor for $2.00 at a garage sale so I could have a dedicated polishing setup.The motor is plugged in to an outlet box under the end of the bench. The receptacle it’s plugged into is controlled by a switch also under the end of the bench. The other receptacle is unswitched for plugging the other equipment in when needed. The outl...
This does not qualify as woodworking, so I’ve placed it here. I don’t have a lot of use for a marking gauge, so I didn’t want to splurge on a manufactured one. I decided to try making a small marking gauge that would have brass elements. I like the look of brass and I’m a cheapskate to boot. I found a plumbing fitting which I felt would work. It was a 3/4 in. x 1/2 in. male adapter MPT x barb. I cut the theads off the 3/4 end with a hack saw and then ground off the re...
I have a weakness for brass tools, though it’s usually tempered by my budget. I found this folding brass meter rule on eBay and happened to have the funds, so I snapped it up. There is no maker’s mark on it anywhere. I also have a hard time figuring how it was effectively used. Whereas our Lufkin brand folding rulers stay rigid when unfolded, the meter rule has very loose joints. It’s like trying to measure with a piece of chain. I guess in a moment of desperation you cou...
Here is an update with audio commentary about the hammers that I’m making. Thanks for watching. Also a photo of the jig used to drill the holes. http://youtu.be/9p62P0fSBZY
Well, I thought this would only take one evening, but it was more like 3 evenings and a morning! The hinges arrived from Lee Valley on Monday on time. From past experience, I knew the #4 screws are a little small in diameter and were going to be too long for the lids. Last time I used #6, but they were a little big and I had to open up the countersinks to get them to fit. This time I went with #5 screws – 1/2 inch for the lid and 3/4” for the box. Now that the hin...
I’ve decided to try out this video thing. This is my first and it is very basic. It just shows my intent with making these small brass hammers. These will be used for adjusting plane blades mainly. I may add a wood side on one end at a later date. Hope this comes out okay cause I plan to do many more. Thanks for watching. http://youtu.be/Q8mmU9ZFbPc
When Daniel and I made the guitar, we used the Festool MFS adjustable rectangle router template (if you’re price conscious, here's how I built a similar jig for cheap) to build the jig to do the inlays in the fretboard: First as a slot with rounded ends into whcih we put a glued-up strip we'd made on the router table, second as little squares with rounded corners that we cut clean with a chisel. But at some point I was hanging around Alembic and they had an amazing instrument on the ...
Daniel came back for another visit and said “yeah, it sounds really off at the 12th fret”. With visions of “oh, crap, we have to mill off that fret and move it” we started playing with things, and discovered that the bridge was in the wrong place. The bridge had individually adjustable string positions, so we moved them, and got a sound that was okay, but the bridge was also really too high. So I chucked it up in the milling machine, milled it down a bit, then t...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries