I already own two violin size sound post setting tools which I purchased online. The other day I was setting a sound post in a less than full size instrument and I got the feeling I was stretching the limits of the tool. I got the post set successfully, but it entered my mind that a smaller tool might be handy for if I should have to work on a 1/4 size violin or smaller someday. So today I went down into my woodshop, took a piece of 1/4 iinch flat brass and went to work with the grinde...
I don’t know what I might use this hammer for, but I felt like making it. The head is made from a piece of plumbing that I replaced in our bathroom. The face pieces are screw on fitting from my box of ‘future’ clamp parts. The handle is a turned spindle from some piece of furniture. The voids in the head were filled with epoxy wood. I lightly sanded the handle to remove some of the finish and swabbed on some boiled linseed oil. The head was cleaned up with a belt sander ...
My first hair gauge [link] wasn’t quite what I wanted it to be so I kept an upgrade in the back of my head. The other night I spotted this string gauge [Below] and it inspired me to make something extremely similar to measure bow hair. I made this new hair gauge using brass strip 1/2 inch wide and about 2 inches long. I used a wood coffee stirer to space them apart about 1/16 of an inch and soldered a brass cleat along one edge on both sides. Then I cleaned it up with my benc...
What’s a hair gauge you ask? When a luthier re-hairs a violin bow, or a bow of any of the other bowed instruments, they don’t just cram a bunch of horse hair into the little anchor holes. There is a certain yet indefinite amount of hair required for each type of bow. Greatly experienced professionals can pretty much gauge it by their hands, but some like to do it scientifically. Hair gauges are available for purchase and there are several types. There’s even...
So this blog entry will be pretty short. In truth, creating a saw tote doesn’t take more than half a day in the shop to cut out the wood, shape it and get the first coat of finish on it. This blog seems long, but I did try to cover a lot of the details for those that care about such things. In this final installment of the little gents saw conversion, we install the saw back, line up the saw plate, install the split nuts, give it some test cuts, make a final adjustment or two, oil it...
I’ve received the brass hardware back from blasting and polishing. Now I can start cutting and laying out pieces for the carriage! I’ve spoken to several retired navy sailors and found out that people would take spent shells and or parts from decommission ships and cast them into other parts. So WM.C. Capehart was probably the person that made the cast pattern and the U.S.S. Vulcan was a repair ship that served beginning in the 1940’s and was scrapped in 2006. Here is the Wi...
Here is the clock finally ready to ship. I am going to post the all thing in project today. But I wanted to bring an end to this blog part. We received the finials last week and we have been able to put everything together and it is now in a box ready to ship!
This is sort of a continuation of an old blog about 3 Shopbuilt Brass Tools. I recently made these two little tools out of brass strip, 1/16 in. thick by 1/2 inch wide by 12 inches long. I wanted to make a small brass bevel gauge ever since I saw one that Mads made. The Pythagorean gauge I only recently found accidentally here on Lumberjocks.. Its usefulness is probably marginal, but it’s certainly a conversation starter. It measures just under 8 inches long. The be...
It has been a while since I posted anything as a friend reminded me couple days ago. So I thought I would do an update on couple projects I have been working on. On an earlier post I had shown the start of a restoration on a Boulle clock. We had restored the top part, since I have been working on the 2 lower elements. I did not took a lot of picture of the restoration of the middle section But I documented better the restoration of the lower section that was partic...
So a little off my main blog but I wanted to clean up the original H. Disston & Sons pre-1917 medallion from my 22” D-8. I’ve used a buffer, Brasso and steel wool, and chemicals on other brass parts before but I didn’t have time to go into my shop today and I didn’t want to lose any of the lettering on the medallion so I decided to try cleaning it up with household items. Here is a list of the items I used:Lemon JuiceBaking PowderA soft clothAn old toothbrush Some ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 266 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries