When I made the wall hanging, Dance on a Volcano I considered at one point making it into an EZ Mitre box. I liked the pattern so much as it was that it stayed that way. I go past it on the Stairway to Devon, every day and it always makes me think of a box alternative. So I set about designing one, using TurboCAD to 3D model it. I came up with this. My initial thoughts were to make it in solid wood, much like the original using; Sycamore, Pau Amarello, Yew, Padauk, Purpleheart and Ebon...
When I left off Yesterday, the box was all clamped-up, and the small handle was ready to go on… After taking it out of the clamps, I first had to conform the handle’s feet to the curved top panel of the box. That was quickly done by simply laying a piece of sandpaper on top of the box Sand-Up, and working the handle until it matched the contour…Then i just placed and marked for the holes… I’ll be using 1/8” pegs (and glue!) to attach it, but I like to...
Working on the last project (the “Shrine” for St. Francis) reminded me how inadequately I am set up for cutting miters…I managed to cut the small mitered roof, but the way that I did it would never work for a box! The tiny discrepancies would be multiplied by the sides and I’d end up with huge gaps… But it got me thinking…I’ve been fascinated with this old thing since I got it in 1999… In the new basement shop, there was a large bench already...
The Design. The two-color concept gives me an idea of using two colors of wood that are contrasting. With the limitation of making contrast, a big board requires stripes motif or grilled motif to give the necessary symmetry of a solid wall. A diamond grill makes it so attractive with a background wall in it. The Wood. Since dull red Narra (from old floor parquet flooring) and a few strips of white board (probably a hard pine from crate) are available, the red and white grill ca...
Hi again, this weekend was slow because all the fingerboard work, let’s see: Slots for the fret line position inlays ready, made by hand with a hacksaw going really slow to avoid any mistakes. It may be a couple a little bit bad, but noting too obvious :) All the maple inlays ready to be glued and trimmed Inlays closeup Fitting each inlay Inlays done! And now side dots, made with flux core solder, drill each hole, fill it with a small length of solder, melt it with a s...
The board from yesterday’s glue up was a success To trim this to size I cut the inner hexagon out of the paper plan. I cut through the alignment marks at the edge, flipped it and lined it up over the pattern. Using the same scalpel blade marking trick to define the outline. I then joined up the marks with scalpel and ruler. Finally cutting all the way through ( its only two layers of veneer and a core of MDF, after all). This sat nicely on the top of the side...
How to make and fit the top. Initial thoughts were to go back to the CAD model and produce a template that way. This is fine in that it is roughly the right size and shows all the pieces in their places. Slight problem though. This is an ideal picture. If I were making the top and sides and putting them together in one go it would be perfect to use. However I have already made and glued up the sides. With the best will in the world the resulting hexagon of sides is not going to precise...
The board came out of glue-up OK...First thing to do, trim the excess off the bottom edge...Now the vertical rounded pillars. They were going to be Ebony but such was the dye success with the black that I decided to opt for dyed Sycamore. This is English Sycamore, which is a creamy white, not it’s American cousin...I cut the above wide enough to do both sides of a box corner and rounded both edges. Then dyed them up...The sun came out. For a moment I thought I wasn’t in England an...
I hit my stride today, and knocked out quite a bit of work on this. I had an inspiration on the roundovers on the back of the neck. At the end of the previous installment, I had only run them with the back of the neck down on the router table. I realized if I turned it up on edge and ran the already-rounded edges through again, the ends would look a lot nicer, and would be more hand-friendly. The best view of this is in this shot of tuner installation. Note how the radius on each face fades s...
I like Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. This is amongst my favourites to play in the shop and out. The cover, for those of you who don’t know. is this...This has inspired me to get my design head on. So here’s a picture of the box I’ve been designing, over the last week or so...Designed using TurboCAD (no, NOT Sketchup), Size, approx’ 120mm corner to corner and 70mm high. A tall order. Is there any other kind. Its mostly black. I know of a black wood or two...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1196 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1218 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries