The lid is the most “visible” part of these boxes. I’ve been making mitered frames with panel centers. Some times a mirror on the inside, other times I use veneer. Options would be to make a panel similar to the base or choose another arrangement that draws the eye. For this box, I chose a veneered panel with a mitered frame. As with the base, the dimensions of the inside of the top frame are identical to the dimensions of the box body interior (6” x 8R...
The base of this box is where anyone can “go wild” with design options. The basics are simple, a frame with lap joints, filled with a plywood panel. The feet are simple squares. A pdf file with dimensions for the base can be found here The design allows for the base to have 1/2” of exposure along its perimeter with the box, basically it aligns flush with the boxes inside dimensions.A felt covered plywood piece fits into a routed shelf to seal off the box bottom. Th...
I’ve had several inquiries for plans or more info into the details of my exposed finger joint boxes I’ve been building of late. Plans get complex and are often best explained in some detail, hence this project blog. Lots of pictures and details, hopefully clear and not too boring 8^) A set of dimensional drawings (4 pfd files) can be downloaded here It’s next to impossible for drawings like these to contain all the details. These boxes have simple structure, but a l...
The rumors of my demise have been exaggerated. Between starting to learn this new job, mostly from home, and running my daughter back and forth to concert rehearsals, I’ve had little time to do much aside from gearing up to repair instruments. Which brings me to the title of this post. Right now these tools are living in a shoebox, both the ones I’m using and the ones I anticipate needing in the future. I’ve been thinking about what kind of tool box I could build to house...
I tried a handful of new things and learned a lot, building this box. I did some things well and some not so much… Some things that went poorly were due to my lack of equipment…and PATIENCE to properly check and double check that the equipment I had to work with was set up as precisely as possible before making any final cuts. Other things went poorly because I’m inexperienced and/or a bit uncomfortable with some tools. Full disclosure – routers make me nervous. So far, I’ve been abl...
This was my first time using tung oil. I watched a couple videos on youtube about it just to be sure that I wasn’t going to mess something up after reading the instructions on the can. It was really easy and I really like the results a heck of a lot. I waited 48 hours to do anything with it. After that, I suppose that the wood expanded a bit from absorbing the oil. Maybe I’m imagining things, though, but I had to do some sanding on the lid in order to have the lid fit like it did before I ...
Well I finally decided to complete my “finishing” of this box, flock it, and to add hardware. I chose to final finish polishing with Johnson’s Paste Wax (JPW) which comes out with a satiny semi-gloss sheen. Here are my last steps on this project. I really learned a lot from finishing this box. Too glossy brings out every single flaw and amplifies it/them, making things look worse rather than better. Too much effort IMO. Semi-gloss seems to “ask” to be touche...
I’ve been sick for about a week, so I was unable to do anything with this project so for those of you who are following along and looking forward to my next entry, my apologies for the delay. All of the repairs set up pretty well and are stable. I tried making a paste with sawdust and glue for the repairs to the maple (in each of the four corners, where my router bit went too deep), but the color isn’t right. They’re stable, and the box is for me, so it’s ok. I think part of the issue with...
I took the clamps off of my box and flush trimmed the lid using my router before doing some sanding to remove and glue or dings and dents that were especially bad to my eye. I didn’t really go nuts sanding, as I planned on doing it thoroughly and properly once all splines and any additional detail had been trimmed and shaping had been completed. I cut the kerfs for my splines with a newer blade of mine, which was a mistake. Since I’m cheap and don’t have $100 to spend on a single s...
I went ahead and glued my sides together the other day. The sides actually went together well. I never have had band clamps on hand and I liked how they seemed to make the process simpler for me. I had previously used blue tape to hold mitered corners in place, which had worked well, but these clamps really allowed me to apply pressure where tape would just not. Then, I glued and clamped the lid down while trying to keep the detail work lined up as closely as I could. However, before I...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries