In the first half of this blog post, I cut up a Ficus log and made a nearly 11” round for later turning into a bowl. I sealed every part of it in Anchorseal. Flash forward about 12 days, this past Saturday, and I finally chucked it up and made a bowl. Unfortunately, as with everything Ficus I’ve ever sealed, it was covered with mold by this point, and a little bit stinky. I figured I’d turn the mold away. I went with a faceplate on the soon-to-be-concave side: ...
This past Wednesday, all in the span of an hour lunch break, I ran home, cut a chunk off the end of one of the Jacaranda logs from my recent haul, resealed the main log with Anchorseal and washed out the brush. Sliced the chunk in half through the pith, and turned one into a thin-walled, simple bowl, took a quick shower, and brought the resultant piece back to show off at work. Amazing what can happen in one hour! The turning itself took less than 15 minutes! I’m getting faster, if not ...
This past Sunday I decided to saw a Y-shaped Ficus log in half and get some bowl blanks out of it. I couldn’t fit the 14” section under my band saw’s 12” vertical clearance, so I just cut the first half, up to the Y split. Then I spent about 20-30 minutes sawing through the Y with my 24” carpenter saw. Good workout! I could fit a 10-7/8” circle on each log in the Y area, which I wanted to try turning for the twists in grain and color. I had to...
This is from nearly a month ago. I’m behind on my adventures. Chucking something properly in a lathe takes a little bit of thought and prep work. I only had about an hour after work, but was in the mood to learn a bit more. In this test, I simply wanted to see if I could make a thin, dish-like object in a small chunk of Indian Laurel (Ficus microcarpa). I had recently acquired a ton of it, so I just pinched it between centers and had at it. The test dish I would turn was from a pi...
6 days, 7 more projects: To date:six pens, six rings, three stoppers, a bowl, garden waterer/composter, one secret geocaching project. and… one pen featured online at Grungezombie as a good fathers day gift idea, and one pen sold! not a bad week at all…Looking forward to a busy, but hopefully great week #3!
Until recently my lathe experience has been 50 or so pen/pencils, a few miniature goblets, and a couple small 5 inch bowls over the past few years on a Jet mini lathe, enough to want to try other lathe work. This past fall I was fortunate to have the opportunity to acquire a PM 3520B, but due to other work and priorities I’ve not had a lot of time to use it yet…and that’s “killing me”. So this blog documents what I consider my first significant lathe project. Recently a partially segmen...
This is the first green turn read more in my project “oak bowl” thanks
I have finished sanded the spalted ambrosia bowl up to 600 grit and am ready to start putting finish on it. I start the finish process by using an air compressor to blow all the dust from the bowl, then I wipe both the outside and inside down with BLO. The next step is to wipe on a good coat of Mylands high speed friction polish. I like to do the first coat with the lathe turned off and turn the bowl by hand. This allows me to get a good uniform coat on the entire surface. Once...
I got some pieces of spalted ambrosia maple and decided to turn a bowl and vase from the largest pieces. This piece of log was just a little over 12 inches in diameter and I cut it 8 inches long. The piece was mounted between centers to start the rough turning. I have a spur drive that fits my nova chuck which saves a lot of time. A recess is created in the rough turned piece and will be held internally by the nova chuck jaws. With the piece secured in the Nova Jaw I s...
I found a beautiful piece of box elder that had quite a bit of red and black viens running through it. The first step in my bowl process was to chain saw the log and create a blank. I chose to save the bark inclusion on the side and let that be the focal point of the bowl. Next I attached a face plate ring to what would be the top of the bowl and then attached the bowl with the face plate ring to my Super Nova chuck. The next step in the process is to get the blank roughed out and f...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries