This is my first “real” wood turning project. My scroll chuck just arrived today, and this is what I’ve done so far. Eventually, the bowl will be parted off and a lid will be made from the remaining wood. Finish is mineral oil. It’s about 3” OD and will be about 2” tall (without lid). A few side views: I will probably have to let this sit for a while until my cole jaws show up. Guess I’ll have to go back to practicing on 2×...
This project started off with a freshly milled slab of black walnut (Juglans nigra) that was 18/4 thick, 14” wide, and 65” long. It seemed like it would have been lonely in the back of the truck on the way home, so I picked up two of them. The tree was cut about a week ago, and slabbed a couple of days before I picked them up. They were heavy. I barely managed to get them out of the truck by myself. My lathe has a 14” swing, so my blank need to be just under 10R...
After some success with pens and a few bottle stoppers, I decided a bowl was overdue. I picked up a couple 2×6 rounds last week of curly maple and decided to see what kind of bowl I could fashion from one. I located center and attached the faceplate with some screws. My intention was to cut the bottom of the bowl for the Nova Chuck and shape it as much I could before turning it around and hollowing out the inside. I made the recess and shape the outside curve then sanded it to 600 grit. ...
I have been doing a little research into a bowl finish that will handle boiling water. I e-mailed General Finish and here’s the exchange: Me: Is General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish, when cured, safe to use for applications that come in contact with boiling water? GF: ... a better product would be our new water base wood turners finish, it is water base and has no odor- so you would not have to wait a month to use it. I would still wait a good two weeks for the product to cure befo...
I was visiting my parents over the Christmas holidays, when I noticed a plastic tray full of candy on the coffee table. My mom told me she got it from the dollar store. She also told me that she loves this bowl because of the divided trays.So, being the woodworker that I am. I decided that I was going to make one out of wood. Without anyone knowing, I took measurements. I do own the CMT bowl and tray bit, and it does come with a template for making this tray. However, the overall size of that...
Sitting by the computer afterwork, wondering what I should get a photo of today. Wait a minute, is that still daylight out? < beeline for the shop > Last item off the lathe was a plate, lets go for a bowl this time. A Butcher Block Bowl – if only for the alliteration. Ok… now where are those offcuts of maple butcher block anyway? Cut a piece, roughly 6×1.5, drilled a mounting hole for the scroll chuck and away we go. Mounted the block, mounted the same f...
The last post left with some work to be completed on the piece before dismount. I wanted to work the edge of the bowl a little thinner and I did some aggressive stock removal on the interior and exterior edge. This left me with the bowl here. and here I did a little more work on the side to remove the somewhat boat like appearance and give it more curve. I cut the bowl off the lathe and began running through the grits of sanding. I have more trouble spots to touch up on that wil...
I like to tease Mike (jockmike2) that he was worried about losing a student when I moved to a scroll saw project. When I showed him the progress on my scroll saw box, he gave me a piece of Ash that he cut from his firewood. A good deal of bark was on the piece and he suggested I try my hand at a bowl with a natural edge. This is my progress so far on this project. This piece was a little rough on the side opposite the bark side. I ran a chainsaw disk mounted on the angle grinder over it to...
There’s a new post on the Little Good Pieces Blog: “Belated Dough Bowl”- Four years to finish a bowl? Check it out! http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/belated-dough-bowl/
This project was a gift. The woods chosen were 2 pieces of maple with a piece of cherry laminated in between. The project was created using a template from Eagle America. After the glue up, the template was set on top of the wood blank and the pattern traced onto the wood. I then used a forstner bit to clear out the majority of the wood inside the pattern and getting as close to the line as possible. I elected to use the depth stop set at 5/8 of an inch to leave a strong bottom. Afte...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries