This is my second attempt at turning a bowl and I am rather pleased with the result. There is still tool marks on the inside of the bowl that ideally wouldn’t be there, but with my very limited turning skills it was as good as it was going to get! From youtubeIn this video I turn a simple bowl out of pine, I did plan to make a indepth how to video this week but unfortunately my camera with all my footage drowned – Read about the accident here http://www.jordswoodshop.com/?p=...
A few weeks ago Michael Mode did a demo for some members of the Front Range Woodturners here in Denver. His demo was good enough that I thought I might be able to do that and I gave it a try. It was a 5 layer bowl out of some mystery wood and it turned out OK. I thought it was a bit rough and that I depended entirely too much on my 60 and 80 grit turning tools to finish it off. So I thought I’d try a second one. This one is out of a nice piece of walnut. I got it all glued up and...
I’m back to show the tools I used in creating this wooden flower. The tools displayed are the only ones used so far in the project other than my trusty chainsaw used to cut this wood to a manageable size. I did more wood removal today and will have to be very careful from here on out because I could easily ruin this piece by going through the walls which I do not want to do. It is somewhat bulky and fairly difficult to hold down so I can work on various areas. I made a makeshift ...
This first bowl came out really nice and was a lot of fun to build. Took forever though. Project link with more pics. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/66058 Here is the start to bowl #2. New grinding tools have really sped up the process, these pics are taken at 4hours in to the project.
Well, many hours with a pair of tweezers and half a dozen tubes of super glue, and the inlays are about done. Just as I was starting to sand down the last inlay, this piece of wood apparently wasn’t satisfied with my work and it jumped right out of my lap and on to the shop floor. So, many cuss words later,.... a day to calm down, and one more inlay to hide the new crack and here is where I’m at. Just a few more hours of sanding to go and then 4 or 5 coats of Tung Oil and I...
Special thanks to the inspiration I found from lumberjock Scott Shangraws projects. (http://lumberjocks.com/shangrila) I started with a half round chunk of juniper fire wood. A few hours of carving with a chainsaw, then my angle grinder with a round chainsaw attachment, and finally a 40 grit flap wheel grinder and here is what I have. I used my dremel tool to route out any cracks, and added a few more lines as my mind saw fit to add some stone inlays for both something interesting t...
Take a peek into my bowl making process! Lately, I have been doing a lot of studying and reading about how to make good videos. One thing I noticed about the particular mistakes made in poor videos is that most of the mistakes violate one basic principle: that video is visual. It sounds obvious once stated, yet notice that when you watch a boring video, it is usually what you are seeing that bores you, more so than the dialog and other audio. This video is a homework assignment that I a...
This is a video I made to promote my turning sales, but I think that my fellow woodturners and woodworkers will enjoy it as well. Ooop! Almost forgot the disclaimer: WARNING: Woodturning can—is—highly addictive. Brian Havens, The Fallen Tree, and any and all of their associates cannot be held liable for any lost wages, lost time, lost income, rehabilitation costs, spousal disputes, or any other damages resulting from anyone becoming a woodturner as a result of watching this video...
I came across a nice sized burl in a tree that had come down. Unfortunately, there was a chain sticking out of it. But I didn’t want to pass up the burl. I figured, “No problem. I’ll just unscrew the anchor and still get a nice sized bowl.” While attempting this I broke anchor (or what I thought was the anchor) at the wood’s surface. So I mounted the piece on my lathe anyway and started to turn. My intent was to carefully remove enough wood around the m...
Cole jaws arrived today. So it was off to the garage to finish the salt cellar. All in all I’m very pleased. Only a few things irk the perfectionist in me. 1) A line on the lip on the underside of the lid. Must have gotten a little reckless with the skew chisel or something. 2) There’s some tear out on the knob at it’s largest diameter. I don’t remember getting any catches while doing this part, but I guess anything’s possible. Or maybe I can just say it...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1692 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1717 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 402 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 190 entries
- Dave Rutan - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries