I have pressed on with the lofting and got the stations, stem pieces and skeg pieces lofted. The basswood didn’t like taking all the turns and my two 24” pieces are now a handfull of 2-4” inch pieces from all the breaks. The stations went together alright with some minor changes to fair the curves. they are drawn upside down so that when i make templates they all have a common bottom reference point for laying out the molds. I drew out all the stem pieces so that i c...
I bought some 1/4” x 1/16” x 24” basswood strips to use as batons and continued with the lofting. I’ts about like doing the full size lofting with 3/8” planks and crayons, but it’s a good start. I started with the sheer line in both profile and plan view to get a sense of the shape. I also lofted the keel and keelson. And then the stem. And finally the deadwood. The upper waterlines all turned into a bit of a mess because they are so clos...
Stevenson Projects Weekender Sailboat Build #1: So it begins...wood arrives tomorrow...the quest to build a sailboat...
Ok…here I go…this is the official blog to begin what I hope will be a great quest—-to build a little sail boat by Stevenson Projects called “The Weekender”. I have been planning for this for many months and today was a big day. Here is a little bit of the path I have taken to get to this point in case you ever want build a boat. I just got back from the wood supplier and tomorrow I will have $1300 worth of wood delivered to my house. Its a bit daunting and ...
I started the process of lofting, drawing the 3D shape hull from front top and side views, based on the measurements from the plans using a scale of 2” = 1’. I have followed the same process that is required for a full size hull, but my scale will result in a hull 21” long and 8” wide. To create the full sized enlargement of the lines of the hull, the plans list points along the various curves which are carefully laid out on a grid and connected with long flexible ...
Hi Everyone, I am starting this blog series to document the process of building Sunshine, a 10’6” wooden yacht tender. She was originally designed for rowing, but I am building the sailing version. I purchased plans quite a while ago from Duct Trap Woodworking and am getting started by building a scale model. The model will be complete in every way possible so that I can work out all the problems before starting the full size build. The first step I have taken is to sc...
Even though this project was done a few years ago, it has been the biggest project I’ve worked on and one that I’ve enjoyed a great deal since. I decided several years ago that I wanted to get more serious about woodworking and to try something that I perceived as out of my league. The idea for the canoe was one that had bounced around in my head for a while. I finally chose to make the leap after seeing a magazine article showing someone in the Toronto area who had a large workshop wher...
The First Garboard Plank The first plank is on! It has been the most difficult part of the build so far. I’ve gone through 4 planks to get it right. For my fellow LJers who may be wondering, I’ve put in a few hours here and there, but I’ve taken quite a bit of time away from the project since the holidays. I’m exciting to be focused again. The challenge with this is getting the plank flush and tight into the rabbit along the keel. It’s a tough plank bec...
Here’s the kitecam footage with a little background music. If you want a funnier/naughtier version, browse to YouTube by clicking the link at the bottom right and look at our other videos (Warning: Explicit). Remember, I warned you. Little pitchers… We’re flying to the British Virgin Islands tonight! I’ll post some more video of exotic locales. Happy Thanksgiving to all of my fellow LJ’s and their families.
Here’s the two reels after I strategically removed about half the wood. It’s still strong, but a whole lot lighter to stuff into the luggage. We’ve addressed the canting keel problem of the camera, and we got our camera/enclosure in the mail today, so I think we’re set. I figured out how to invert .avi video, so we’re going to hang the camera upside down from the middle of the parallel linkage. Tomorrow, we’re going to jump on a boat for an hour and...
I was able to squeeze another day in the shop. We started out by finishing up the parallel linkage with the barrel bolts we got from the hardware store. Then we fabricated the Brooxe hanger and the camera enclosure mount. Finally, it was time for the handles. ^ Handles installed on the reel assembly ^ Camera enclosure mounted on the bottom of the parallel linkage ^ Brooxe hanger showing how kite string winds around the “mushrooms” in the top member of the parallel l...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1526 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1551 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries